CUC for Puffer tank?

Walla2GSP

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone ever found a sustainable combination for use as a Clean up Crew in a Puffer tank? I had a Lawnmower Blenny that lasted a while this summer, and I may try that again, but I think my Wife's Maroon Clown killed it so I'm gonna wait till I trade the clownfish to a LFS before buying another. I tried Hermit crabs and snails early on, and initially I thought that would work, but eventually all three puffers caught on and ate the CUC. Most recently I had a emerald crab last 18 months before being found out, and I tried 2 Giant Turbo snails this spring hoping their size would prevent attacks but they only lasted 48 hours. Ideas??

That's a small tank for three Puffers. We had one in a 55 and that's considered small. Lot's of filtration needed. Doubt you need a CUC crew with all the needed physical maintenance. Most postings advise 150+ for puffers.

I'm not sure where you get that the tank is small for the amount of fish considering I never said that the current tank was an 85 gallon, but I'm aware that the tank is small and I'm working on a solution to upgrade to a 220. The Dogface needs 150 gallons of real estate and the Green pair will need 90+gallons, so we are still deciding between leaving the pair in the 85 and building an 180 for the the Dogface, or building one large tank for everybody. A clean up crew would still be nice to cut down on weekly maintenance, but I understand it may not be possible.

Your tank size is in your RC profile. Puffers are cool, but offer up an unusual level of care. Have fun.

Your tank size is in your RC profile....

Forgot about that good point

...Puffers are cool, but offer up an unusual level of care. Have fun.

You aren't kidding, I've had them since Spring 2014, and I almost sold all of them this Spring because I was tired of doing the maintenance. That said I couldn't imagine not having them anymore so I eventually just set aside more time to clean up after them. They really aren't that bad as long as you over think water chemistry a little. You just need 2 gallons of treatment for every gallon of display. So I have a 200 Gallon-rated skimmer, and run enough Biological media for 120 Gallon display. I don't have any more room for media, but on the new tank my plan is to run 1:1 display to sump ratio and load the sump with Xport BIO/NO3, and probably plumb in a 50 gallon refugium. My tank levels have been pretty steady for the last few months since doing annual maintenance on the Canister filters and Protein skimmer which were both a little overdue.

Wow, quite the project. Our Puffer lived for 7+ years. I was adding some new live rock and at best it probably caused a mini cycle. More than likely not as cured as was indicated. They are sensitive to water quality.

Back