Current best heater

ebe

I have had two eheim heaters fail on me in the last year. One not even 6 months old. I have always liked these, but not so much anymore. What are you using/recommending? I need to get something new for the 310.

Last edited:
Heaters naturally fail eventually, hopefully not a boiling situation. I've always had good odds with Finnex, but I pay for the nicer ones with the digital displays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After watching the video I am thinking two titanium finnex heaters without controllers and running them off my apex ( I have two temperature probes ). For a 310 and 70ish gallon sump, what wattage? Or should I still have controllers on the heaters and not trust the apex?

Having everything operating through a single controller is cool till that sole controller goes out. Personally I use the fancy 500 watt finnex with digital display on my 280

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would have two heaters on their own controller like the inkbird or the BRS one plugged into the energy bar and the apex as a back up to shut them off if their controller fails. I have never had a heater fail off, just on. The apex sending an alarm and shutting them off at 80 can save your tank.

Agree with the second controller. Even Terrance from Apex will say not to plug a titanium heating element directly into the apex. I think it's in one of his live-streams.

I use three finnex 500 watt titanium heaters on Medusa controllers on my 600 gallon reef system.

My apex classic hung up a few months ago and had all 3 heater on for a few days until I noticed it thought the temp was 70 degrees. Tank heated to about 81 since I had the cheap heaters set that high. If not for that secondary protection my tank would have been toast. I set alarm notifications after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would have two heaters on their own controller like the inkbird or the BRS one plugged into the energy bar and the apex as a back up to shut them off if their controller fails. I have never had a heater fail off, just on. The apex sending an alarm and shutting them off at 80 can save your tank.

This is what i do

Redundant heaters and controllers. I also use a lab grade handheld analog thermometer monthly to keep my controllers honest. They need adjustments occasionally. Ranco controllers are dependable too.

Back