Custom Built Tank Thread!!!

Fishboy9227

Alrighty, after a lot of debate and advice, I have finally decided what I going to do. I am having a tank built at these measurements: 24"x"24x18". This will work great in the space that I have and I think I will be able to make a very interesting aquascape! However, the tank wont be done for about a month so I have a lot of time to plan and build the stand.

This tank will be a little different from the everyday tank. First of all, it will be rimless, so I will not be using a canopy that sits on the tank. I plan to actually suspend the canopy above the tank about 8" from the top. This will allow for heat escape and a different look.

For lighting I am going to run a 150w HQI w/ T5 supplements.

For filtration: 40 pounds of LR, Classic Berlin Skimmer, 5g Fuge, 20g sump, Phosphate Reactor w/ phosphate remover and carbon.

Flow: 2 Korilia 2's

Return pump: Rio 2500

I hope to get all of my plans on paper and get them uploaded to here. Im pretty excited about this new tank!

-Josh

Last edited:
You realize by not having a canopy, you will be somewhat limited on the fish you can have? A lot of the wrasses and fire fish, some clowns, like to jump out and go carpet surfing at night. Just something to think about while you're planning. I went the pendant look one time, and while it looked fine, after about $120 worth of dried or just missing fish, i built a canopy lol.

jumpers...

jumpers...

Bird replellent mesh on a plastic frame works really good to keep the jumpers in...

LL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14174939#post14174939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eddybabyhd
in the spring time at any of your local "big box" stores

Yup, or TLC Nurseries most any time. If you just need a single piece, I may have some laying around...

PM me.

LL

Well im thinking about doing a canopy then. For heat reduction, if I put a fan on each side of the canopy, should I have the fans blowing air in or sucking air out?

I posted a thread in the DIY forum asking this question and most said to have the fans blowing in w/ vents on the top. The reason for this is that the fans we use are usually not designed to have moist, salty air drawn through them. With the vents in the top, the light, hot air will rise out as the colder, denser air will be brought through the fans.

Just an FYI, fans will run more effiecient running in one direction.

I.E. both pulling heat out. Thermodynamics suggest that it is much more efficient to remove heat from an area than do pump cool air into the area and try to diffuse the heat already present.

if you are exchanging air at an acceptable rate, then the air should not be moist at all.

Look at all the commerically available light fixtures out there, they all are designed to extract hot air.

I would challange yout o try the canopy on your new tank with the configuration you are suggesting, then try it with both fans drawing out. The temp swing will be less, and it will not be as hot in your canopy.

BTW, salt doesnt evaporate, or at lease enough to have to worry about it.

Back