cyano burn off after lights come on?

caliMako

hey guys.. been in the hobby for 15+ years and can't figure this one out. i have a 170 gal reef tank about 6 months old. starting to show some red slime algae. the weird thing is, the cyano thrive/grows when the lights are off. the tank is not near any natural sunlight source.. once my lights are on, the cyano starts to burns off. i am running 3 ai hydra 26. i have a mix of sps/lps and all corals are thriving. i;ve been doing manual removal during water changes but i have to make sure the lights are off for a while to get enough cyano to suction out. once the lights are on, the cyano starts withering away. after a full light cycle, there is hardly any visible cyano. sounds ironic, but it has been baffling me. i'm worried because i am noticing during the off-light period, the cyano is growing a lot more now. anyone experience this?

temp 80
sal- 1.025
cal - 420
mg - 1330
alk- 8.5
nitrate-0
phos -.01

thanks guys

It could be that your nutrients are so low that your corals out-compete the slime during the light cycle (while the corals are actively using the light to grow), and the slime can only thrive when the light-cycle users slow/shut down, leaving more nutrients available in the water column.

Just a thought.

Kevin

Back