cycled in 2 weeks ?

brookers

hi all, started my 180 off again 2 weeks ago. stuck a clam on top of the trickle tower for 3 days to get the cycle started. after 1 week no2 went up to 0.3mg/l took a reading just now and its nearly back to 0. has it cycled ? or didnt i leave the clam there long enough ? sorry for the dumb Q, its been a long time since i cycled a tank.

I had the same type of experience when I first cycled my tank. I was told that the cycle had not even begun yet. I would leave the clam in longer.

Nitrogen cycle means:
Amonia -> nitrite-> nitrate -> nitrogen gas (this is where you read your NO3 zero)

So your question: Has it cycled?
Well have you tested for Nitrate? How about ammonia? If they read 0 on 2nd weeks, you have a cycled tank.

just tested for no3 = 0

so if i test for ammonia and it reads 0 am i cycled ?

will get an ammonia test on the way home from work.thanks.

Not if the clam is no longer present. You need to know that there is an ongoing ammonia source to declare it is adequately cycled by not seeing ammonia (IMO).

just tested for ammonia = 0.25mg/l

so i need to add an ammonia source daily to ramp up the no2 to complete the cycle, right ?

thanks, paul.

I wouldn't be worried about nitrite, but I would be worried that the ammonia is still detectable (if that is accurate). So I'd put a clam or shrimp or some fish food back into the tank. :)

sorry i didnt see where you said "stuck a clam"

What do you mean by this?

In a cycled established system, ammonia is always 0

ahhh sorry to get it started....i didnt get it at first...

Randy, i dont think you need an organic source like clams or shrimps to jump start a cycling period, unlike fresh water aquarium. IMO

A marine tank that uses live rocks will have enough nutrient source to jump start the N cycle. Dead sponges or whatever in the rocks will be enough to trigger bacteria colony to start. I would add zeobak or biodigest rather than adding a piece of shrimp to rot. This would prolong the cycle. IMO

Certainly I agree that if you are curing live rock you've got plenty of nutrients. I assumed he was cycling a trickle filter with no rock or dead rock. :)

Back