cyclop eeze

Great info when is the best time to feed my coral's right after the lights go out. Or can I turn my lights off in the middle of a light cycle for an hour then feed.... Is there any good articles I can read up on?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11621932#post11621932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speeddemonlsr
Great info when is the best time to feed my coral's right after the lights go out. Or can I turn my lights off in the middle of a light cycle for an hour then feed.... Is there any good articles I can read up on?

Some corals are nocturnal and others not; however, the feeding response in most, if not all corals, will happen lights on or off if there is food in water. I feed my Sun Cups with the lights on in the evening and now they open "on time" even without any food in the water:) Hungry buggers they are and man do they look great!

Plus, it's gratifying to know you're feeding them and they look healthy and strong.

Today when I fed my tank the nocturnal corals all had a feeding response to the cyclop eeze. This has never happend with the other type of frozen cyclops I have used.

Thanks for the info, Gdevine. I'll give feeding it a try. I just started getting a little concerned because the polyps don't really come out much anymore. But it may be because I just installed halides a week or two ago, so the lighting change might have it adjusting. I moved it down to the bottom of the tank. We'll see how it does.

I do have a syringe to feed the polyps, too, so I'll try that with some freeze-dried Cyclop-Eeze.

So just to clarify if im feeding and dont see any food in the polyps of the corals then their not getting any benefit correct.

I'm thinking about using this too, which ones do you guys suggest, the freeze dried ones or the frozen types?

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11622724#post11622724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSpiffy
If you use freeze-dried, soak them first, so they don't float at the top.

A few things to consider:

1. Certain corals feed on very small particulate matter such as phytoplankton (DT's if you will) and small "dust type" particles like baby bryne or cyclop-eeze. If it floats in the water column where the tentacles of the corals polyps will grab it when it floats by. Stonies eat this way as do some softies as well.

2. Certain corals can handel larger pieces of food. For example, Sun Cups can be fed larger pieces of Mysis and literally eat the entire shrimp! These type of corals need to have each polyp feed individually if this is how you are feeding them.

Here's what I do: I defrost a small piece of frozen baby bryne in a shot glass type of cup. Baby bryne falls into the "dust type" of particulate food. I then add a very small amount of freeze dried cyclop-eeze to the mix. Then I add a cap of DT's and a cap of Ecosystems Reef Solution. I let it sit in the frig for about an hour and let all the particulate food matter soak up the DT and Reef Solution. I then add some tank water to the mix (about two syringe amounts). I then use a target feeder and draw up about 3 table spoons of the mix. I then target feed each polyp with the food and the response they provide is tremendous! (The soluton looks like a cloud surrounding the coral). They literally grab the particulates and phytoplankton that's all around them and then close up to ingest it all. In about 10 minutes they are open again and ready for a second helping:)

I do this until the mix is gone. Takes all of 30 minutes with about 4 to 5 feedings and we're done. The Sun Cups will stay open througout the night still filtering the food that's in the water column.

Probably the reason that your polyps aren't opening ... yet that is ... is because they are not "trained" yet. Keep it up, build their strength back, and they will open up 20 minutes before feeding time if you are consistent with your feedings.

Feed your corals! Whether they are zooxanthellae or azooxanthellae, all corals will benefit from the phytoplankton including fanua and filter feeders.

Lot's written on this subject and I can get you the issue of Coral magazine where they write on this subject with extense.

I do feed sporadically, usually feeding frozen mysis or freeze-dried Cyclop-Eeze. But I don't really feed consistently. I guess I should buckle down and get into a routine. :)

How often do you feed? Every day? Couple times a week?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11623299#post11623299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSpiffy
I do feed sporadically, usually feeding frozen mysis or freeze-dried Cyclop-Eeze. But I don't really feed consistently. I guess I should buckle down and get into a routine. :)

How often do you feed? Every day? Couple times a week?

I feed them every night but not so much to feed the Sun Cups on a daily basis but the DT's and Reef Solution contain all kinds of vitamins, minerals and trace elements that I dose the tank with each night with so in essence I am killing two birds with one stone.

BTW, my fish go nutty when I feed this solution as it's filled with food for them as well:)

what about the regular frozen brine? I just started trying to feed my LPS and shrooms and this is all I had, they seem to like it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11623434#post11623434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gig
what about the regular frozen brine? I just started trying to feed my LPS and shrooms and this is all I had, they seem to like it.

Regular bryne, depending who you talk to, doesn't have the same nutritional value say as baby bryne and/or cyclop-eeze and/or mysis. But who really knows, most of these frozen companies say they add vitamins any way.

I feed about every three days or so, would do it every day but i'm lazy. Not sure why you paid so much for it though??? it is relitively cheap for how long it lasts???

yeah, Drs F&S change $19 for shipping frozens, but if you get a bunch, I guess it's not so bad. I just buy from my LFS

Back