DAP Silicone

tailgamerllc

Has anyone used the DAP Kitchen silicone? It if a food grade silicone, it comes in clear, and from the test that i saw it sticks to acrylic fairly well. I have searched and dont see any post of anyone using it at all. The price is $7 a tube so it is cost effective and it is very clear when applied in a moderately sized bead. I just resealed a 55 gal with it and put baffles in and it is curing. But before I put it into service on an established tank i figured i would check first. I may just get a couple of chromis and put them in for a couple of days to test before i put the whole tank in service. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here is the info from their website. I will be putting a cheap fish in to test it. I hate to do it this way but don't have any other way to test.

DAP's Commercial Kitchen Silicone is an*NSF*certified product suitable for food-zone areas in commercial/ industrial kitchens. This 100% silicone product is 100% waterproof, has a wide temperature range of -75°F to 350°F (intermitted temperatures up to 400°F). It meets FDA Reg 21, CFR 177.2600 and is certified by NSF to NSF/ANSI Standard #51.
1d4a12083acf369903f696ea9efbb442.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not to be that guy, but why wouldnt you use silicone that is known to be reef safe? There are many different ones out there, so odds are that you could have found one locally. Price wise they are all the same, and even if not, you maybe save a $1 or $2. Considering you will buy chromies and use them as test subjects, if they die, you lost more than you saved on silicone, and you killed fish for no reason at all.

As for this specific silicone working well on acrylic, I bet it doesnt work any better or worse than all other silicones in this regard.

Back