Day 1 Of My First Large Reef Tank

Yea go to the electrical calculator and figure out what that is going to cost you along with the closed loop. You may be better off using a couple of the large tunze pumps and cut back on that monster. Think of all the money you will save on salt, fresh water, skimmer pumps and chemicals should make up the difference.

Thanks for all the greta ideas on the pump and flow, think I have a good Idea on what I am going to do.

I have been messing around with some rock idea's and wanted some more input. Since the tank is so big around 8x5 I have a lot of room to work with. As I do love all the sweet minimalist(?) style rock scapes and abundant sps corals growing in every void. I really want to keep with my mid reef slope crest biotope which will require a substantial amount of rock.

I do need to keep at least 16" of space around most of the tank so I can do work inside of it while standing on the dsb an not touching the rock work. My ultimate goal is to get a few crests almost to the top of the tank, but with nice ledges to place corals. I did a couple mock ups with some extra rock I have. Its hard to tell the size but its about 6' wide by 3.5 depth and 3.5' tall at the highest point. It has a hundred of natural holes and a lot of caves and overhangs. My guess it it weighs about 400lbs in total. If have a lot of live rock so I can go as much as I want if needed. Just dont want to over do it.

000_0021.jpg
000_0020.jpg

000_0022.jpg
000_0023.jpg

Plumbing help please. Does anyone know how to calculate psi and flow loss for a Disc check valve? I just put a 2" pvc CV on the top of my well intake pipe and it really looks like it would affect the flow big time. When you push the spring in, it looks about half the size. Maybe thats normal.

Thanks in advance....

Randy

Well I just finished all the plumbing and am almost done with the drywall work. I would post pictures but it looks kinda crappy with all the debris and such. I am getting ready to figure out the light requirements I might need. What's the consensus about using T5s mixed with a couple 400w halides, maybe 1500W total? If not a SPS dominated tank, do you think I could get by with that?

Thanks again in advanced....

I skimmed the thread and if I understood correctly water gets pumped in straight from the ocean with no cleaning?

Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of using natural sea water, but what about when you get a red tide?

I think it is a different idea when collecting by the bucket where you can examine the conditions before you collect but when you blindly collect via a pump without treating I think you will have a problem when a red tide rolls around.

No I dont pump from the ocean directly, It runs thru a quadrillion gallon skimmer first,lol.

Last edited:
Okie doke. Sounds like an interesting project. I hope it turns out nice. Are you doing only florida live stock again?

Yes, plan on going with all florida livestock. Here is a pic of the Biotope I am going for. Lots of Gorgs, sponges Ricordea's and even some encrusting fire coral. Fish as of now, will be about a dozen lookdowns and 1 huge queen Angel.

bio1choice.jpg

The queen will mow down the sponge and gorgs. Leave it out. The Caribbean angels are very notorious for being bad reef animals. Go with a harem of C. argi. or something like that. Just a warning.

Queens gotta eat too. Plus she is 8" and really needs a new home. Gorg's and sponges grow like weeds and are easy to culture. Specimen Queens are pretty amazing animals and plus she is my wife's favorite pet. But thanks for the 2 warnings I value everyones opinions.

TY

yes... we would love to see pics --- sounds like such an exciting adventure and so interesting with your natural sw well... what a concept! =)

wow, i missed this thread somehow, hopefully his plans continued and he finished his setup. I wish i had a well like that

Back