Dead again

OMG, the skimmer. 7/10th of the oxygen supplied to the tank, from a potent skimmer. That was one major blow. Any temperature above 83 is bad. AND reduces the amount of oxygen the water can carry, though the fan will have helped. My notion on the subsequent death is still oxygen deprivation coupled with everything else that had happened. You still did right to try to remedy it. If the clown had had more fight left he might have made it.

Don'tever cut the skimmer off. If you have to treat, hospital tank with an airstone, which doesn't take away the med, ane can run full bore (but put a mesh screen between airstone and fish. Not good for them to play in.

The reason for my statement about the treatment is that there had just been too much life-threatening change in that tank already, and meds are stress to the body. Remember meds function is just to kill the problem before it kills you---and if the fish is too weak, it can push them to the edge and over. There's a maxim us old ice skaters made up---nothing good happens fast on the ice, or in tank-keeping. Better to let the least threatening problem lie until everything more urgent is handled and back to optimum, in order of critical to life, and go slow. Very slow, and consult with RC if it's a life-or-death emergency. Be REAL careful and consult if its something you're going to change or alter for the whole tank. ---Also, ask, before buying any 'cure' that fish store recommends. They don't know your tank; and instructions on the label are based on optimum conditions---without explaining that skimmers and temperature affect oxygenation profoundly. Post here and ask and we can give you the down side as well as the good.

Last edited:
I did not know that the skimmer supplied that much oxygen. learn something new every day.
Knowing that now, I cannot understand why there is no caution about that on the medication. That maybe it might be a good idea to throw in an airstone. How can they tell you to turn off your skimmer and not mention this??
They feel it's necessary to tell me not to spoon feed this fish medicine to small children, for Christ's sake!
For what it's worth they will get a piece of my mind about this.
The girl seems to be doing well in qt.
And just to clarify I meant that the outdoor temps
here have been over 90, the water in the tank never went above 80.5 degrees.

Yep. Depends on your skimmer and how 'tight' a foam it produces, but it does oxygenate; cheatomorpha algae does, and gas exchange at the surface (waterfalls, energetic water)---but yes, it's one of my gripes that, be it salt or koi pond, they tell you to be CAREFUL of oxygenation, but giving enough information for a new user---no, they don't. You're not born knowing that a skimmer supplies oxygen: you pick that knowledge up from other reefers. But oh, no, they're not responsible for telling you that. The fish-hobby industry is NOT regulated by the FDA or other agencies that normally warn us about drugs and interactions and problems, and the problems range from little companies that hang out a shingle and promote something with wild claims; to the big guys who don't want to get dauntingly technical and scary in their warnings---like: own a skimmer; or high temperatures will reduce oxygen. Etc. If your lfs doesn't give you those warnings, either, you're kind of SOL. RC exists to exchange info, both known stuff and near-experimental stuff. Best advice I can give is to check out any med or treatment here, and be sure to include things like 'this is a [fish-only] tank' or 'This tank is 10 years old...' Helps get 'appropriate' advice.

Another good idea is exactly what you and I have done, which is to put detailed tank info in the sig line. And you should add your Magnesium test results there at the last, just for completion.

Back