Dead Frogspawn

ataylo13

habitual line stepper
I have had this frogspawn in my tank for over 8 months. He had looked awsome for all but the last month. He started to not open as much, then I noticed the polyps receeding. I tried moving him to another part of the tank to no avail. When I moved him I noticed these holes in the skeleton.

dead_frogspawn.jpg

Calcium: 370-400 (I am working
PH: 8.0-8.3
Nitrate: 0
Alk: Good
Salinity: 1.026

Lights are about a year old, I am fixing to replace them. I have a hammer coral in the tank that is still looking great. Any ideas on what could have been the cause of death would be great. Thanks for your help.

~Brandon

I wonder if its parasite infection. Many holding facilities in aquarium trade can cause lps to catch diseases that will allow them to live for months before they die.

If this is a parasite do I need to worry about my other LPS corals? Is there anything I can watch for on my torch or hammer that would let me know it was also infected?

~Brandon

With your time span a parasite is not likely, and frogspawns are not notorious for succombing to parasitic diseases. Much more likely would be changes in water quality, lighting or coral warfare (physical or chemical)
Have you added any new corals to the tank recently, any powerheads moved around that may have changed waterflow patterns? What does an alk of "good" mean and has it changed?

Sometimes as you check the "neck" of the coral you can see the tissue receeding early on in a problem and alert you to the fact that they just are not "happy" and something needs to change.

Back