Decided to switch salt - using Instant Ocean

rhkingsfan

I'm a long time user of I/O (and occasionally Reef Crystals). It's basically the only salt I've ever used since I started reefing 15 years ago.

Six months ago I tried my hand at some intermediate level SPS and it was tough keeping parameters like Alk steady when using I/O. Imagine trying to keep Alk close to 8.5 in a Fusion 25 (while doing 5 gallon water changes weekly) when I/O that was coming in close to 11 dkh. It actually wasn't the Alk that bothered me as much as the fact it would take over 24 hours to mix clear. I would make salt in the morning on a Saturday, let it run for 12 hours and it would still be cloudy!

I finally get to looking at parameters for a new salt and wanted to choose one that mixed clear in a reasonable period of time. After spending a day on this site and youtube I narrowed it down to ESV Bionic, Fritz, Brightwell neomarine and Tropic Marin Pro.

I so wanted to go with ESV after using their 2 part for years, but the fact you had to mix ingredients separately knocked it off the list. Fritz seemed like a good choice; it's almost as cheap as I/O, parameters were close to what I wanted (9 dkh 450 calcium) and always available. I looked at Brightwell and I liked the fact it was synthetic, but the 10 dkh turned me off as I would rather be able to raise dkh through supplementing rather than lower with vinegar or something. So it came down to Fritz and Tropic Marin Pro. Based on what I was reading, hardcore SPS people usually were in two camps: (1) salt doesn't matter so I use I/O or (2) I want the best and most expensive so I go with TMP. I ended up going with TMP because even though it's pricey (four times the cost of I/O!), I'm basically doing 4 gallon water changes a week so it doesn't really add up to much anyway. The fact that it's synthetic, has a huge following, meets my parameter needs and that I've had a good experience with dosing TM All for Reef for the last 3 months, pushed me over the finish line. It's tough finding it online right now but Aquacave and Premium Aquatics have it in stock.

So I finally did my first water change with Tropic Marin Pro 15 minutes ago. My bucket of TMP had Dkh of 7.9 (salifert) and the salt mixed clear in 5 minutes! Tank is running completely clear (which is a first after a water change). I don't see PE like some people have said after a water change but I couldn't be happier. I'll post an update if my SPS go downhill over the next few days!

I hear you. It takes 24 hours for my IO to clear up whether I mix it in 5 gallon or 50 gallon batches. I switched in the past-TM and several others- after using RC/IO for years. I'm back with IO. Parameters are fine, alk=9; cal-400-420 etc. I have 4 tanks so it can get pricey doing weekly water changes, lol. TMP is a solid choice. Good luck with the tank.

where in blue blazes do you people find this elusive tropic marine pro consistently?! I would switch if i could find a place that stocked it enough that I wouldn't fear not being able to find it the next time i needed a bucket.

I've been using esv for years now... having to mix the components is not bad at all, just get a small digital scale from amazon and you are set. parameters are always on point and the salt is readily available from most major suppliers.

I will never use another salt, love TMP! I usually have to bump up the alk, but just slightly. Also, when you break it down, TMP only costs a couple bucks more per month and well worth it. I know Elliot at Golden State Corals usually carries it, but supply has been thin for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been sticking to Morton's, a pinch of McCormick, and a dash of 3 crabs. Everyone loves it.

i use the tropic marin also because it mixes quickly & clearly. if you don't have multiple or huge tank(s), the extra cost is worth it IMO. i actually found a pro bucket at tongs in FV a month ago

When I listend to the rep from TM he stated on small tanks the cost is very small so I made the switch and I dose the All In One BRS sometimes gets it, I have a IM Lagoon 25.

where in blue blazes do you people find this elusive tropic marine pro consistently?! I would switch if i could find a place that stocked it enough that I wouldn't fear not being able to find it the next time i needed a bucket.

When you find, stock up. It's what I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved TMP as well but it got too expensive and sometimes hard to find for me. I swapped back to IO but immediately couldn't stand the dirty tubs. I found a great middle ground with Neomarine, mine mixes closer to 9 which is perfect for me. I also like how their buckets are gasketed for an air tight seal.

They also have amazing customer service/response. I had a small issue and reported it to MD, who passed it on to Brightwell. I got a call within a few days asking for more details and my batch #. It turned out to be a mixing mistake on my end but it was good to see a company contact me to ensure their quality standards were being met and show genuine concern for the issue at hand.

I loved TMP as well but it got too expensive and sometimes hard to find for me. I swapped back to IO but immediately couldn't stand the dirty tubs. I found a great middle ground with Neomarine, mine mixes closer to 9 which is perfect for me. I also like how their buckets are gasketed for an air tight seal.

They also have amazing customer service/response. I had a small issue and reported it to MD, who passed it on to Brightwell. I got a call within a few days asking for more details and my batch #. It turned out to be a mixing mistake on my end but it was good to see a company contact me to ensure their quality standards were being met and show genuine concern for the issue at hand.
What was the mistake?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What was the mistake?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I never heated my water before adding salt. It hadn't been an issue for me in the past but I got some major clouding, almost looked black to me was my concern. I cleaned my water change station with citric acid, rinsed and mixed with water pre heated and got crystal clear water from the same bucket.

Back