Deciding the future of WTMRAC... please read ASAP

neuroslicer

Old School Reefer
Please pardon the length of this post, but this is an important matter which needs to be discussed amongst members of the West Tennessee Marine and Reef Aquarium Club. I have also sent this letter out to club members via email.

If you've been reading the WTMRAC Reef Central forum you'll probably know that Jay Page is setting up another group of marine hobbyists, called MARS (Memphis Area Reef Society), presumably due to dissatisfaction with WTMRAC. Fearing that this new development could possibly force a split amongst WTMRAC members, I suggested to him that he take over the member roster of WTMRAC, call the new group whatever he wished"¦ and then the club officers would transfer all WTMRAC funds to his new group. At that time he had no interest in any involvement or resources from the old club but wanted to start anew.

My feelings about WTMRAC merging or morphing into MARS, however, have changed since learning more about the tentative format of MARS. According to Jay Page, the new group will be primarily an online, digital presence. Members (both from the local region and anyone that is attracted from further distances away) will receive a monthly e- newsletter, be actively involved in forums, view and/or participate in podcasts instead of meetings, be involved in activities of marine organizations (e.g. MASNA, SECORE, etc). Jay P. will act as facilitator of the online group, sending out the monthly newsletter and, with his considerable expertise and enthusiasm, engage MARS members in online discussions and other activities.

What concerns me most about MARS is not what it offers, but what it lacks: the absence of what I consider to be one of the most important (if not THE most important) aspect of WTMRAC. And that is the local, social, human element. And maybe it's just because I'm old school and I'd rather talk directly with someone than text them on my phone! Without the club meetings we become just another online forum where people don't know each other's faces, much less each other's real names. Why is face-time important? In my opinion, the best times of our reef club have been times spent with other members, especially when gathering at member homes where we talk about hobby issues and get to view the wide variety of reef systems, and learn face-to-face about the tricks and troubles that each of us has experienced as we struggle and triumph with our hobby! I can recall many, many examples"¦ taking behind the scenes tours of reef systems at St. Jude Hospital and at Union College; learning about new LED technology at the Rendos home, having gourmet taco's at Jon Peyton's home, checking out Marty Klaus's no-hands hard plumbed water changing system, learning about DIY water chemistry maintenance and algal turf scrubbers at my home, hearing how biopellets helps with nitrogen waste control and seeing Carl Woodward's beautiful tank at his home, discussing vodka dosing (and checking out the cool Halloween décor at Bryan and Lindsey Childress's home), traveling to Oxford, MS to discuss water circulation at the Carson home, meeting new members and chatting with old reef clubbers at the annual New Year's Party at Fox Ridge Pizza"¦. and on and on"¦. Even more than our frag swaps, which incidentally attracted the most people and made the most money this past year... even more than those, our meetings have been the highlight of the hobby club for me, and I dare to say I am not alone in my opinion on this. I really hesitate to give that up to a digital only, online format.

It is a fact that club interest has waned, and I will certainly take some of the blame. However, in my defense, at the end of 2012 I asked if there was anyone willing to assume command of the club, and no one stepped forward, not Jay Page, not anyone. Since then we have had three well organized and informative meetings, each one well announced, but with less than half a dozen in attendance each time. In addition to good leadership, it takes personal involvement and commitment from members for any social organization to succeed. As with most things, you get out of something what you put into it. I'm a member of another local club, and we meet in informal groups once a week and we have a formal meeting each month. The weekly meetings typically gather 8 "“ 12 attendees, and the monthly meetings gather 15 "“ 20 attendees"¦ yet the overall number of members in that club is less than 75% of WTMRAC.

So what I'm trying to say is, the local human, social element is what matters most to me about WTMRAC. We can decide here and now to let it die on the vine, or we can revive it with renewed personal commitment from you, from me, and from all our club members. But I will need to hear from you, and I need to hear it now. I need a pledge of commitment from at least a core group of members. It's ok if some members for whatever reason drop out because they are unable to give that commitment"¦ I am less interested in total number of members and more interested in having at least a core group of enthusiastic and involved members. It's also fine if some members still want to stay in the club with a low level of commitment"¦ we're glad for any involvement that you can deliver"¦ but to have a successful club, I need a core group of die hards! So, those of you that do wish to guarantee that the club keeps going, do so now by pledging your active involvement now.
This whole experience has been a wake-up call for me to help me realize that if we don't do something pretty quickly, WTMRAC as we have known it will be a thing of the past. For my part, I will pledge now to do my best to keep the club enthusiastic and active by organizing more events like the ones I've described above. But I won't, indeed can't, do it alone. I will make that pledge if and only if:

1) At least 8 - 10 club members (or new people willing to join up now) agree to host a meeting in their home over the next 12 month

AND

2) At least 15 -20 club members pledge to do their best to attend no less than six monthly meetings over the next 12 months

My goal is to restore the practice of monthly meetings, most of them in member homes, with at least 10 "“ 12 monthly attendees. If I get the kind of support I've requested above, that will guarantee a more rewarding club experience I have no doubt. If I receive enough positive feedback and commitment from all of you now, we will continue WTMRAC, beginning with the next meeting at Michelle and Tim Bennett's house on July 27. At that time, in addition to working on the WTMRAC Frag Swap, we can also discuss ways to revitalize WTMRAC, and if need be, decide who best to lead the club in the future (I by no means take it for granted that it will be me). Feel free also to email you comments and suggestions, but by all means , now please reply with your pledge to keep the club moving forward (or by your lack of response, close the chapter and we will move on to MARS).

I look forward to your feedback and your responses, and hope to receive your support for the club. And thank you for your time in reading this letter.

Please respond to wtmrac@gmail.com

Sincerely,
Jay Blundon, WTMRAC 2013 President

I will respond directly here since I am directly named and discussed.

I will start by saying I like WTMRAC and it has alot of good people in it. It has done a lot of good for members, and at times, for the community. With that being said, it looks like I need to clarify a few things that Jay Blundon (aka Neuroclicer) has stated incorrectly about MARS.

He states that there will be no social element within MARS, and also that there will be no meetings. This is untrue, there will be meetings, although they will not be every month, podcasts will be available for those people that cannot attend meetings as well as for those months that we do not gather. As anyone can tell you that has been to one of the very few and infrequent meetings with WTMRAC, you would know that they are poorly attended, as people often have conflicts, work, travel, vacation, live out of town, etc. That is one of the great things about MARS, is the ability to communicate with others when you cannot meet in person. If we met every three months, you would get just as much face to face interaction as you have had with WTMRAC this year. As far as the list of meetings that he reference, it sounds great, but those meetings span almost 3 years time.

With the ability to connect through Facebook, e-newsletters, live local meetings, yes I said meetings ha, email, forums, Itunes, and several other media platforms I am looking at, MARS gives marine hobbyists and reefers the ability to communicate, talk, discuss things, ask questions, and be more connected than they ever have before.

If I referenced in previous comments that there would be only podcasts INSTEAD of meetings, I miscommunicated that, as they will be available for people who can't make meetings (which are most members).

It is very interesting to me that Jay Blundon says social interaction is the best part of WTMRAC, but freely admits that in his well advertised meetings, that there were less than 6 people at each one of them. And he goes on to say "we may become just another online forum where people don’t know each other’s faces, much less each other’s real names".

Here is a direct quote from the MARS Facebook page yesterday:
"my fav part of MARS is this fb group simply because it seems like the posts are by real people with real names instead a quirky screen name. Maybe I'm just weird......"

I would say that what Neuroslicer has proposed is quite the opposite of reality. There has been more interest and activity in the last 2 weeks, and photos published on MARS and on MARS Facebook than has been on anything that WTMRAC has had to offer in the whole year.

He goes on to say what MARS "is", and what MARS is "lacking' when it fact he has no idea what MARS is going to be, because neither do I, and I started it. I have a vision or where I want it to go, and I have said numerous times, that MARS is a fluid and rapidly changing organization. It will change with the times. And keeping up with the digital age is one of them.

If you think all that MARS has to offer is a forum, and email and a newsletter, then you are mistaken, or have not talked with me directly. That is why membership is free for the rest of the year. People can join and partake, see what it is all about, and at the end of the year if they do not see value, they will move on.

Memphis is a unique area. We cannot pile 200 members into a meeting like Dallas can. I am providing Memphis with a new way to communicate, get together, socialize, connect, and interact. I would say that Neuroslicer is way off when he says that there will be no socializing, I would say that there will be more than ever. If his whole premise of this forum post was just to say that MARS will have no meetings and that people just want to meet face to face, well there are two points. 1) Not many people show up to meetings, it is a fact. 2) MARS will have meetings. Just not every month, and yes, we will have podcasts every month to download to your computer, ipad/tablet, or phone, for the months we don't meet.

All I can say is that I love the marine hobby, and that I want to provide the Memphis area with a better organization that keeps everyone more informed, more connected, and more involved.

If you are happy with what WTMRAC has provided to you over the last 2 years, then you may not have any interest in what MARS has to offer you. If you think that there should be more to a reef organization that a handful of meetings a year and a frag swap, than we may have something to offer you of interest at MARS.

I have no intention of causing WTMRAC to close shop or divide up its members. I am simply offering a new way for people in the hobby or with marine interests to communicate and be informed. Jay Blundon has turned this into a MARS vs WTMRAC situation, which it is not.

Anyone is free to email me, PM me, text, call or Facebook me any questions or ideas. I welcome them. :)

Last edited:
I am going to think on this. If heads of WTMRAC are going to make changes, and recommit to getting the club to where it has the potential to be, I might be willing to postpone MARS until Jan 1, 2014, to see if things have changed for the better. I am not unreasonable and I cannot deny that WTMRAC has a nice bankroll to facilitate many new projects. Memphis deserves more for the marine hobby than it has now, and I know that there are many passionate people that want to be involved that don't have time and need a different avenue for connecting rather than sparse meetings. I don't wish to pull apart Memphis club members in different directions. That is not and never was my intent. I sincerely hope WTMRAC can find footing and become something amazing. I know that as a startup MARS will take time to fulfill my vision, but since WTMRAC already has considerable money, I may be willing to first see where they can take it, with their "newfound commitment". I urge people to attend Saturdays meeting. Exchange ideas and create a new future. I would like to attend, but I am signed up for a golf tournament. My other hobby. Ha. But I guess that's an example where I would like to hear the meeting on a podcast since I can't be there. Hopefully WTMRAC can implement things like that.

Here's my peace offering.... can we not record the meeting(s) and make all of them available on a select website? iTunes? I have a decent Sony voice recorder that could be used.

Do not postpone MARS please....let it grow and see what happens.

To me it seemed like all was fine (maybe it wasn't offline) until WT offered to bankroll the frag swap of MARS and even mentioned closing WT after that. 1. no reason to close WT just because there's a new group in town and 2. Jay-P (no Beyonce) politely said no thanks and that weekend doesn't work for me....Suddenly all hell breaks loose.

Maybe WT needs a facelift, maybe it doesn't, Maybe MARS will sink, maybe it will swim....but don't get on here and bash the new Kid at school you don't even know yet because they didn't accept a cookie from you during lunch.

Good decisions are never made like this. I for one think both cookies could work-out. It's not about stealing members, it's about the resources available to the members. JP, I have to say, you got some great ideas, but the timing is a little off.
darth-vader-cookie-monster-join-the-darkside-and-get-a-free-cookie.jpg

We should consider the future of WTMRAC independently of any other hobby related activities. If one of the main activities is to meet regularly to learn more about hobby related issues, then we need to have active member participation, and by that I mean specifically hosting and traveling to club meetings. Without members willing to attend meetings and occasionally host them as well, then the digital online experience may be the best option available. I have had great words of support from several club members wishing to keep the club going, but so far I haven't heard from enough people sufficient to sustain an active club. That just may be the sign of the digital times, or people may have less and less disposable income to spend on hobby and club related activities, but for whatever reason, it may be time to close one door and open another! If so I will welcome the change and hope to be part of the new experience as well. I've been a reefer since the 80's and don't plan on draining my tank anytime soon! :.)

We haven't canceled yet. Hopefully with the most recent issues that have developed we can get some more input at the meeting. Please RSVP to the meeting thread if you plan to attend so we can get a head count for food.

After sleeping on it last night, giving it a lot of thought, and also getting more feedback from members and sponsors, this is the direction of MARS for the rest of this year 2013. In an effort to try to keep unity of the Memphis area, I am postponing the MARS fragswap until spring 2014. This will allow all vendors to be more efficient in their planning this fall, and members will have more money to spend at one single swap. MARS will hold no in person meetings in 2013. We do not wish to pull local reefers in 2 directions right now, and if there is a transition needed in the future, it will now have more time to be seamless and smoother. MARS will still run its forum on RC, as well as its Facebook page, and I will take added time to look into other media vehicles for the future if they end up being needed.

I hope WTMRAC will stay intact, run their regular frag swap this fall, and meet Saturday to discuss changes for the club to get more activity, more involvement, more communication, and new things to implement. I'll be honest, the status quo of WTMRAC has to change in more ways than just getting 10 members to meet monthly. The club will die a slow death if the only change is a commitment for more people to host and show up for meetings. There needs to be a lot more communication, local community involvement, more sharing of information, more help for the beginners, trying to grow the base of people in the hobby by promoting the hobby within the community, just to name a few. I am referring to the desire to see a thriving club, not one that is just "getting by".

With that being said, I hope WTMRAC has a bright future and can turn into what Rendos designed it to be many years ago. I hope many people turn out to the WTMRAC meeting on Saturday to discuss changes and implementation of new ideas, and not to vote on whether to close shop or not. If I remember right when I typed up the bylaws on the WTMRAC website, it said that if WTMRAC disbands, all club monies go to local charity like St. Jude. While St. Jude is a great organization and a cause worthy of our funds, I would like to see the money be used to promote the marine hobby and use the funds as a catalyst to fuel participation.

For the near term future, MARS is going to focus on Facebook, e-newsletter, and forum participation, and allow WTMRAC to grow, as they get united and use their newfound commitment to further the hobby and the marine interests. :) I hope the best is yet to come for Memphis area reefing and hobbyists.

While I have not been an active member by any stretch of the imagination of WTMRAC. I do have an interest in whatever club is out there that has members of a hobby of mine. From the outside looking in all I see is two different clubs trying to attract the same pool of members, which means that the same problems that club "A" had club "B" will have eventually. The predominant difference is that club "B" will have different leadership and a different name.

I recall an email from Jay Blundon a while back that stated he did not wish to be the president of the club anymore and there needed to be some new leadership but it looks like nobody took the reins. Now there is another group of people wanting to start a new club because the old one is "stale". Simply put, why force the few people that are involved with this hobby in the area choose one club over the other one? "Yes I realize that neither of you have said that explicitly but the subtext of all of this is just that"

If the majority of people in WTMRAC think that it’s time to change things up then let’s get some new leadership and do exactly that.
I have a few thoughts about how things could be different or to encourage more participation but it may be too little too late. Finally I don’t want my post to be construed as finger pointing, I just wanted to put in my $0.02 about what this looked like from the outside looking in.

While I have not been an active member by any stretch of the imagination of WTMRAC. I do have an interest in whatever club is out there that has members of a hobby of mine. From the outside looking in all I see is two different clubs trying to attract the same pool of members, which means that the same problems that club "A" had club "B" will have eventually. The predominant difference is that club "B" will have different leadership and a different name.

I recall an email from Jay Blundon a while back that stated he did not wish to be the president of the club anymore and there needed to be some new leadership but it looks like nobody took the reins. Now there is another group of people wanting to start a new club because the old one is "stale". Simply put, why force the few people that are involved with this hobby in the area choose one club over the other one? "Yes I realize that neither of you have said that explicitly but the subtext of all of this is just that"

If the majority of people in WTMRAC think that it’s time to change things up then let’s get some new leadership and do exactly that.
I have a few thoughts about how things could be different or to encourage more participation but it may be too little too late. Finally I don’t want my post to be construed as finger pointing, I just wanted to put in my $0.02 about what this looked like from the outside looking in.

Two things of note, MARS would be different altogether, numerous differences have been previously stated in multiple threads, it's not just the same thing with a new name. If that's what it looks like, then I did a bad job communicating the future vision of MARS. Secondly, there is no choice to make, as MARS is taking a backseat to let WTMRAC grow and fulfill its potential. There is no "2 clubs", as all MARS is going to be for the rest of the year is digital communication. The only way MARS would go full forward implementing all of its ideas and strategies, is next year if WTMRAC fizzles out. I hope and wish for WTMRAC to be successful and to thrive.

Edited to add: the reasoning of my not taking over WTMRAC and trying to run it, is that I do not like or agree with the construct of the governing body. When I was a board of director member, any time I had an idea or wanted to implement something, I was always told, "lets vote on it at the next meeting", which may or may not occur in the next 2-3 months. Something as simple as my idea to run a WTMRAC website took 6 months of people batting around the idea, voting on it and giving me funding for it. I cannot function efficiently in that type of environment.

Last edited:
Edited to add: the reasoning of my not taking over WTMRAC and trying to run it, is that I do not like or agree with the construct of the governing body. When I was a board of director member, any time I had an idea or wanted to implement something, I was always told, "lets vote on it at the next meeting", which may or may not occur in the next 2-3 months. Something as simple as my idea to run a WTMRAC website took 6 months of people batting around the idea, voting on it and giving me funding for it. I cannot function efficiently in that type of environment.

This mentality may have been part of the problem...

It puts my mind to playing ball as a kid. Some guy would get schooled, then he'd get all upset and take his ball and go home.

It was the club's money. It should've been put to a vote. Personally, I wasn't impressed with the website when I was a member.

Volunteer. Get involved.

Volunteer. Get involved.

Folks"¦
I have not (recently) been involved in much club activity (nor on RC) until this past weekend, when I was called back into service, but I wanted to make a qualifying statement.

Last year following the 2012 Frag Swap, the Club held elections per the Club bylaws. At that time, both Jay Page (as former Treasurer and Webmaster in a dual capacity, who did an outstanding job by the way) and I (as former VP, overseeing the Frag Swap) relinquished our positions after years of service, due to separate but similar demands within each of our respective corporate lives. At that time, fresh officers were brought in to backfill these positions. Sadly, a couple of those new inductees, never worked out, leaving large positions unfilled. For those that stayed on to carry the torch, Thank You!

Fast Forward to 2013
The Club (as a format and not a body of people) is at a critical point in principle because the sad truth is, unless it gets the participation for meetings, the upcoming Frag Swap and new, fresh ideas for recruitment and the education and proliferation of the Hobby (which IS the Charter, regardless of medium), then it really needs to do some soul searching regarding what it is and the value it provides, or not.

In actual fact: Last year's Frag Swap was the most (ever so marginally) commercially successful one to date (in terms of (only) a few hundred bucks and no more), in large part because of the level of participation we had received from Members, volunteers and tremendous Sponsor/Vendors. If expectations were not met or issues stemmed from it, then I never got that feedback, which is unfortunate. Likewise, if the club does not anticipate a similar level of participation this year, (which has already been recently established due to conflicts in scheduling by key supporters), then the club will suffer monetarily. Thus, one questions the validity of even having the event in the first place.

Recently, I was asked to make a statement on the MARS Facebook site, which I did at the behest of Jay Blundon. Unfortunately, the timing is such that although WTMRAC did offer to sponsor MARS Frag Swap in lieu of our own, MARS has a conflict and Sept. 28th did not work for Jay Page and other key supporters. Because the dates are required 6-months in advance, they are not flexible, nor are cost-effective venues easy to come by. If anyone has any bright ideas, please advise Jay Blundon.

Why am I telling you all this?

It pains me to watch all this, because at the core, everybody wants the same thing: Support for the local Reef Hobbyist and the beauty the Hobby inspires.

Personally, I'm out of this and have been out of this for months (almost a year) because I have to be, due to my own current circumstances, but I can see truths to both sides.

Growing pains usually hurt, but without growth, there can be no breakthroughs and without breakthroughs, there can be no future.

Thanks,
Marty

Back