Deep Tank Lighting

ShipWreck2

I am setting up a 6'x3'x3' tank and am looking for lighting suggestions. I want to keep a mixture of corals sps and LPS and was wondering if I could do 250w vs 400w? Also what recommendations on ballasts and fixtures would everyone recommend?

Over the years I have answered this question with "get a shorter tank" or "use 400w MH's". But the more I think about it, I would not place certain corals all the way to the bottom of the tank that require high light. Does that make sense?

That's what I was getting at but not asking clearly. If I keep the LPS at the bottom X" of the tank and SPS in the top X" of the tank can I use 250w vs 400w? I realize 400w are the best for the full depth but looking for other options. Or say 3 250w MH vs 2 400w MH or SE vs DE or one fixture vs another? Just trying to find the best ligthting while balancing cost and electrical usage.

I like the Ice Cap 250w DE 20k bulbs.... The 250's w/electronic ballast would be the best cost/PAR, imo....

What about fixtures? I was thinking Lumen Bright, Lumen Max, Lumen _____ (I know there is a third just can't think of the name).

I am setting up a 6'x3'x3' tank and am looking for lighting suggestions. I want to keep a mixture of corals sps and LPS and was wondering if I could do 250w vs 400w? Also what recommendations on ballasts and fixtures would everyone recommend?

I did a 250w Mh on a 30in deep tank and then upgraded it to a 400w.
the 250 did work with SPS in the top 20in, but the 400w was obviously better.

With my new 30in deep tank, I'm using two 14in solar tubes and in the summer they can get WAY brighter than the 400w MH with crazy shimmer lines. Plus the light is FREE.:bounce1::bounce2::bounce3:

Back