Definitely,definitely getting goby and pistol shrimp

Megatrev62

Was up at reefer friends house tonight and looking at his 180 gallon reef. Absolutely gorgeous tank. I was amazed at the goby( not sure of the name) and the pistol shrimp pairing he had. The shrimp was busy excavating their cave and said" I'm definitely getting that for my tank". Ofcourse looking for any input that the RC community can provide. Thanks :bounce2:

It's an amazing pairing and one of the most enjoyable to watch in a tank.

I've aways had luck. I've purchased separately and they've found each other.

My favorite pairing has been Tiger Pistol Shrimp and Bluespotted Watchman Goby.

Thank you for your experience. I never really gave this a second thought watching this at the LFS these past years, but seeing this tonight totally intrigued me. Very interesting addition I think.

Depends on what else you have in your tank. On the daintier side, I like the Candy Cane Pistol (Alpheus randalli)with the Yasha Goby (Stonogobiops yasha). For the mid-grade, I like the Bullseye Pistol (Apheus Soror) and the Randalli Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli). For the larger and more boisterous group, I like the aforementioned Tiger and Blue Spot. You'll be happy with whichever pairing you end up with.

Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited:
I love mine. Be aware you will have sand storms from time to time as the pistol excavates a lot of sand. My pistol also picks up frags if within reach to use at the entrance to the cave. They are impressive engineers as they form the entraces. Very cool.

We are small fish people with a big tank. We have a pair of magnificent gobies with a tiger, a pair of hi fins with a tiger, and a pair of yashas with a tiger in our main display. We also have a magnificent with a tiger in our 12g. Obviously we like goby and pistol pairings.

Back