Iodine for pistol shrimp molting

BuckeyeFish

I recently bought a Hi-fin goby and pistol shrimp pair for 24g cube reef tank. They are settling in very nicely and are so much fun to watch.

The tank is only about 5 weeks old, but I bypassed the natural cycle with Dr. Tim's and seeded media. The water chemistry is stable and all my inverts (blue hermits, nassarius snails and astrea snails are doing well). Only "red flag" is that my nitrate is sitting at about 20 ppm.

With regard to my pistol, I am worried about poor levels of iodine in the system. I am using instant ocean salt and dose ESV alkalinity and calcium for my coral.

Anyone ever have issues with their pistol not molting properly? Do you dose iodine to promote molting?

Anyone ever have issues with their pistol not molting properly? Do you dose iodine to promote molting?

I have never dosed with iodine and typically find my shrimp molts around monthly. Although I don't ever see it happening and I can't guarantee you that I've seen one molt every single month. sometimes I see the molt behind rocks etc and think my shrimp died, lol. How long have you had the shrimp in this tank?

I use the same salt. I used to dose with calcium but rarely do now. actually in the past few months the only thing I've dosed is some magnesium and general zooplankton. Have you tested your parameters for that dosing protocol?

I use IO and dose Kalkwasser, as well as BRS Alk, Ca and Mg. I do not add iodine.

While, I have never seen a pistol shrimp, I am certain I have at least one that was a hitchhiker on the KP live rock. I hear the tell tale snapping noise every day. I also have several Peppermint shrimp.

Back