Dehumidifier vs fan for 300g

hobbzz

How do I change this?
I'm setting up a 300g in my living room. Sump and fuge will be in a fish room adjacent to the tank. I'm trying to decide between getting a dehumidifier to place in the living room or fish room, or covering the display with glass tops and installing a bathroom fan in the exterior wall of the fish room hooked up to a humidistat. Which should work better for humidity control?

Things to note:
- Tank is a deep dimensions, so 72 x 36 footprint.
- Sump is 30" x 40" and fuge is a standard 75g
- I have leds so glass tops shouldn't be that much of a concern in regards to heat
- I will use evaporative cooling with a fan in the fish room, controlled by an Apex
- Dehumidifier would be one that does not run all the time but only turns on when needed

Thanks in advance.

Glass tops will become covered with humidity/spray. I would leave them off, if I were you.

A dehumidifier in the room would be a better bet, espc if you get one that has a pump in it to run the collection into a drain. While I have set mine up to run 24/7 (fan wise) the dehumidifier part kicks in back and forth. The only reason I set the fan to run 24/7 it just for some extra room circulation.

If you do a bathroomfan you will be pulling in fresh air (through cracks in doors/windows) from the outside which may contain as much humidity (in Florida) as the tank might put off.

With that said. a dehumidifier in the fish room might help you out more.

Is the tank going to be open to the room?

Yes, the display will be in the living room. Four sided canopy but not in wall or anything like that. LR is about 25' x 15' and open to the kitchen and dining room.

With the evaporative cooling in the fish room, that would be a better place for the dehumidifier. Let the house absorb the moisture as there is more air flow, in there.

The fish room will be closed in more and you risk having premature rusting or moisture problems in there.

Back