dendronephtya longer than 2 years ?

xavier-seahorse

Hello,

Of course, I love dendronephtya.
Of course, I would like to have them in a specific tank.

But do you know if there is somebody in the world who have succes in long terme with them please ?

Thanks !

bye,

xavier

thanks dendro :so, just one reefkeeper have it sine a long time ?
=> i think that we will be saying that is near zero.

But does somebdoy hve thme for long time and ALWAIS living ?
Are the dendro of Chuck always live ?

thnaks

bye

xavier

I would guess only a handful of people have dendro's living longer then 2 years. Chuck's tank has gonna through some ups and downs. Right now it's on the downs and is moving the living corals into a smaller tank.

Some have even speculated that Dendronephthya sp. don't have lifespans much longer than 2 years. If that is the case, the husbandry practices won't matter. You'd have to find a way to keep it sexually propagating for it to be worth the trouble IMO. I hope that it isn't the case.

Hello

thanks for your answer !

Kreeger, coud you please tell us more about Shuck's tank : what is the problem ?

The only good report come from the success of Chuck : it's very interesting to know more about his tank.

Aninjaatemyshoe, when you see the size of dendro in the sea, i have difficulties to think that lifespan on dendro is only 2 years : it will be the first coral to have this lifespan.

thanks a lot for your help

bye

Xavier

I think you can just sum up Dendro's and scerlo's as a whole group as not easy to care for at all. One little power outage hiccup, a few days without the same feedings look at the tank wrong and you can lose it all. Thats what happened with mine. COuldn't get enough food...plus if I could I couldn't afford it either.
He still has some dendro's living, smaller and less polyps then before.
I believe he is moving them to a smaller 30 cube to see if he can recreate his success with them.
I would have to say at this point in time we don't have a means of keeping these creatures in a long term cost effective manor.
Erik

thanks Eric !

for your tanks : what food do you give them ? why could you put more food please ?

for Chuck : did he change something before having problem please ?

thnaks eric

bye

xavier

I fed my tank Shell fish diet and Roti feast. I'm guessing I would need to spend over 100 a month in food to keep them alive. I noticed though if I missed a feeding day or 2 when I was out of product the corals would take a week or so to get back to opening right and looking good. There just to sensitive IMO.
Chuck's tank took a hit from a power outage. He feeds a considerable amount more then i did, I would guess if you broke the food cost down it would be something like 3-400 a month in food for his tank.
ERik

Eric,

If I understand, the problem is double :
- cost of food
- we can give the food all the day of the year : pb with holidays

but If I undestand well, if I have of solution or the 2 pb, the recipe to give Shell fish diet and Roti feast is THE solution for long terme success ! Right ?

thanks

bye

Xavier

I'd say that, if you're going to have a dendronephthya tank, I would use a small tank (like a 20 gallon) and just buy one and test out the feeding methods. This way you wouldn't have to spend quite as much in feeding, you can handle nutrient levels with high percentage daily water changes (automated if you want), and you can adjust things like flow much more easily. For flow, I would use a closed loop with the intake on one side of the tank and the output on the other.

Back