Did someone bring a Aiptasia anemone?

This is funny, but I think it was part of the volunteer on the floor's reponsibility to catch it. I was one of them and if I was the one that sort that particular bag, I would remove it. I saw that when I did my pick as a glance and when I was trying to find it again, it could not find it anymore. So, I am guilty as well .. :)
So, I can offer you free frags as well. You can PM me with your tank condition (lighting) & coral preference and location and see if we can work something out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9232815#post9232815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr. Ugly
You can recreate Mike Paletta's historical first reef tank with that aiptasia.

"The tank's inhabitants included a bubble coral some zoanthids a Condylactis anemone and some Aiptasia anmones."

From this article:

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/html/history.html

LOL !
But somehow, I don't think K-Mart sells MH anymore...:D

55g main tank
20 or 25g ref.
4 blub Tek T5
3 Green Chromis - Chromis viridis
2 False Ocellaris Clown - Amphiprion ocellaris
1 Sea Hare - Dolabella auricularia
1 Mandarin Dragonet - Synchiropus splendidus
1 Cleaner Shrimp - Lysmata amboinensis
2x3 inch strip of Green Star Polyp - Clavularia sp.
Astrea/Turbo Snail - Astrea tecta
Nassarius Snail - Nassarius sp.
Blueleg Hermit Crab - Clibanarius

QT
Monti digi
Zoos:
brown/ green tips
brown/orange tips
brown/ green tips/ yellow center (I got these from Reeffragz guys)

birdsnest
green mushroom
little brown mushrooms (Not sure what they are.)
Xenia
SPS from Ocean Treasures (raffle prize)
Favia (raffle prize)
and a couple others I haven't ID'ed yet.

Oh...and of course the aiptasia.... :D

Nashhorn ... was debating whether or not to share this one since it might come across as grousing (and that most certainly is not my intention!). Anyways, I decided to share so I can pass on the lesson of "always look closely before you choose!"

Turns out in the 3rd round I found buried among the softies on the far back right table 2 plastic bags entitled "Orange Yuma" with frags inside. The bag was doubled up so it was very opaque and hard to see. Another fellow next to me grabbed the other bag at the same time and since he didn't have a light I lent him mine. We saw what appeared to be a couple tiny but wonderfully colored yumas that looked like they were pink / yellow / orange. Naturally we both thought we had made the score of the day (especially that late in the picking order) so we trotted out of there with big smiles on our faces. I put mine in the cooler but he opened his and came back to say how wonderful they looked and how lucky he felt. Skip to a few hours later when dipping time rolled around, and the last bag is being opened. Well, out comes a 1" very well aged stag frag with an old glob of glue on the bottom! After repeated examination of the frag and bag and no yuma to be found, I put the frag in the tank and thought ... well, it does have nice coralline on it!!!

In any case, it always pays to look and thanks to BAR for having the extra flashlights around. Even with only 2 minutes to pick, that extra look with the flashlight is so helpful since some areas of the room can be a bit dark (especially on a rainy day).

All in all a great event, and thanks to the BOD for all your coordination efforts. It was great to have a little time to see everyone, and I felt I walked away with more treasures than I brought (which hopefully are now someone else's treasures!).

I got a bonus Aptasia with a colony of zoos from the swap.

My best solution in the past has been getting a peppermint shrimp those guys love small aptasia...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9234040#post9234040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lego
I got a bonus Aptasia with a colony of zoos from the swap.

My best solution in the past has been getting a peppermint shrimp those guys love small aptasia...

anything for a big one?
the one I have is bigger than most shrimps.... :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9231111#post9231111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CitS
I'll take free frags anytime :D

I'm trying to get a good selection to put into DBTC thread.
Pm me and we'll work something out. Better yet I'll try to take a picture of my tank tonight when the lights go on and you can get a look at what I have or if your close come by.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9233699#post9233699 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fingerwrinkles
Nashhorn ... was debating whether or not to share this one since it might come across as grousing (and that most certainly is not my intention!). Anyways, I decided to share so I can pass on the lesson of "always look closely before you choose!"

Turns out in the 3rd round I found buried among the softies on the far back right table 2 plastic bags entitled "Orange Yuma" with frags inside. The bag was doubled up so it was very opaque and hard to see. Another fellow next to me grabbed the other bag at the same time and since he didn't have a light I lent him mine. We saw what appeared to be a couple tiny but wonderfully colored yumas that looked like they were pink / yellow / orange. Naturally we both thought we had made the score of the day (especially that late in the picking order) so we trotted out of there with big smiles on our faces. I put mine in the cooler but he opened his and came back to say how wonderful they looked and how lucky he felt. Skip to a few hours later when dipping time rolled around, and the last bag is being opened. Well, out comes a 1" very well aged stag frag with an old glob of glue on the bottom! After repeated examination of the frag and bag and no yuma to be found, I put the frag in the tank and thought ... well, it does have nice coralline on it!!!

In any case, it always pays to look and thanks to BAR for having the extra flashlights around. Even with only 2 minutes to pick, that extra look with the flashlight is so helpful since some areas of the room can be a bit dark (especially on a rainy day).

All in all a great event, and thanks to the BOD for all your coordination efforts. It was great to have a little time to see everyone, and I felt I walked away with more treasures than I brought (which hopefully are now someone else's treasures!).
Sounds like you got it too. But I'll offer you a frag or frags too.:)
Not many rare corals but some colorful ones.

Nashhorn, thanks for the thought but absolutely no need as I am quite happy and feel like I came away with a lot of really neat stuff. I just thought I'd share the story to let folks know it is a good idea to look closely before walking away, and bring your lights.

Lego ... the peps are a great solution but watch closely as some will take down zoos in addition to the aips (and not all peps will eat aips). If you have only one or two on the rock, try scraping them off with a small screwdriver if they are accessible and you won't hurt the zoos.

Make a paste of kalkwasser and tankwater and use a syringe to smother the aiptasia. Works like joe's juice (same thing actually).

Of course, this works for the ones you can get at, and don't do too much at once, since kalk will bump your ph up.

V

Don't ever remove the paste either. Coraline algae will eventually grow right over it.

I once removed the paste after about 10 days. The resiliant little ******* popped right back up the next day.

I have also had the same aiptasia move inside the rock from one sealed up hole to the other side of the rock. That is rare though. After I sealed up the second hole, that was the end of him.

Best of luck,

Roy

Back