Dino Algae? Need help eradicating! (pic inside)

CallMeJus

Hey everyone. I've been battling what looks like Dinoflagellates for about three weeks now. It was real bad about a week ago, covering all the rocks and some of the Corals in brown, bubbly, goop.

I manually removed as much as I could, then did a 24hr blackout w/o dosing any chemicals. I also lowered the light intensity and reduced the photo-period. The Algae subsided but now I'm left with this residual stringy sh!t in the tank, and it's seeming to repopulate although it's not becoming goopy and bubbly.

The tank is a 44gal mixed reef, heavily stocked with fish and coral. Only been up about 4 months. I haven't done a water change in almost a month because I read Dinos feed off off the trace elements in a water change, but the Corals are beginning to suffer because of the water quality (and Dinos attaching to the polyps.

Parameters
Alk 9.6
Cal 490
Salinity 1.024
Mag - unknown (need a test kit)
Phos .02 (running phosban in a reactor for about a week now)

2vllgjt.jpg
[/IMG]

What worked for me:

* Remove sandbed
* Increase flow to about 100x display-volume per hour
* Add UV unit (2W per gallon)

2-3 days long blackouts helped a lot but were only a temporarily solution.

Good luck. Dinos are truly horrible. My tank literally stank up the entire living room.

1. dino x will do the trick, if no effect, try 2.
2. you have the dino will response to high no3, bring it to 10ppm will solve the problem.

Back