Dinos? Diatoms

Alex_nbs

Hey guys so I recently started to get this in my tank and I’m not sure as to exactly what it is can you guys help me out and also how do I get rid of it?

-15g IM
96F46B97-5060-4335-AE3F-6ABAB1781263.jpeg
B9A79972-3EDA-4E61-869E-D2706E239D95.jpeg
C4F06A20-F519-460E-8E73-FA2EEBC9309A.jpeg

System looks new and going through what is commonly called the "ugly phase".

Could be a mix of diatoms, cyano and even a little dinos. A little hard to tell what types by the pics but still common with new systems. you're system is slowly building more microfauna and bacterial biomass, but that will take some time.

How old is the system, what kind of flow do you have and what are you water parameters?

System looks new and going through what is commonly called the "ugly phase".

Could be a mix of diatoms, cyano and even a little dinos. A little hard to tell what types by the pics but still common with new systems. you're system is slowly building more microfauna and bacterial biomass, but that will take some time.

How old is the system, what kind of flow do you have and what are you water parameters?
The system is about a month old but all the live rock and water came from a tank that had been running well over 8 months. As of flow I have the stock return nozzle but I’m ordering the duel flow nozzle. No wave maker. Last I checked my ammonia was 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 20-30

The system is about a month old but all the live rock and water came from a tank that had been running well over 8 months. As of flow I have the stock return nozzle but I’m ordering the duel flow nozzle. No wave maker. Last I checked my ammonia was 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 20-30
nice

don't stress. just let it run it's course. you'll want more flow than the returns if you plan to keep a mixed reef.

some real affordable options for wave makers out there and nice thing is they are controllable, so if you need more flow it's there

nice

don't stress. just let it run it's course. you'll want more flow than the returns if you plan to keep a mixed reef.

some real affordable options for wave makers out there and nice thing is they are controllable, so if you need more flow it's there
Thanks for the help, what wave maker would recommend? I didn’t know if one could even go in a 15 bc of the size

if you get the hygger, don't freak if you see a little spark when you connect the cord to the controller. thats just the way they are manufactured. China must make these types of pumps with over extended contacts so you see the rapid power spark more visibly. Other companies have the pins tighter & more recessed within the controllers so you don't see it. no more threatening than static electricity;)

Back