Diving in Cozumel

kevl

Hey all,

I will be going to Cozumel October 12-22 for mainly diving and will be staying at the Aura hotel. This is my first time to the island, anyone have any recommended must "sea" dive sites? ;) EXCITED!!

Thanks!

Was just in Cozmuel last week and out of all the stops on our cruise Cozumel had the bluest looking water. The only stop however I did not get into the water...

Palancar is the favorite of many divers. But has Mindfreak says, everywhere is good. Have fun.

Reef

Reef

I went last year, they had some beautiful tangs and live rock in the water, you can see right through the water from the shore.

Pretty much all the dives are good. Many shops have more than one boat so you can sort of pick and choose based on their recommendations.

The Chankanab complex is awesome. There are three or four areas, same with Palancar. Los Ballones is really cool. Don't bother with the plane wreck dive. I was there back in late March. Clarity was great. Currents were a bit stronger than the last time. These are usually seasonal. If your hotel is not affiliated with a dive shop I've used Dive Paradise both trips and they are great to deal with. I envy you and can't wait to get back.

Another vote for the Palacar area, my fav is the Palancar garden and caves. The shore dives I did were good too, way better than boat diving in other places. Unless you really like wreck dives I would skip the coast guard boat wreck, it was just ok with just ok visibility. Have fun and take lots of pictures.

If you can find a dive group that will do it, I would say go to the North Side. I really enjoy all the dives and sites people have mentioned, Palancar caves is great. I have seen everything from Eagle rays on down on the south side. The North side however is completely different then the South side. You do have to be an advanced diver at the least due to harbor master rules, the current rips a little more on the North side. But the reefs are well worth it, they get the nutrient rich water from the Mangroves and the shallow areas. But no matter where you dive in Cozumel you won't have a bad dive. Enjoy your diving.

I just got back from an 11 day stay at the Aura! Beautiful resort with the best service I have every received at any of my stays in the Caribbean/Mexico. Unforunately, when I went I was not a diver and the diving crash course would have probably ruined the experience for my wife but, it did inspire us both to get certified in the states before our next trip. With that said I did snorkel at least everday right off the beach at the resort and went on two snorkeling excursions to the Palancar, Colombia and a spot they call Hollywood. Just snorkeling we saw the amazing reef structures, numerous barracuda's, nurse sharks, sea turtles...etc.

In talking to the many divers at the resort they raved about the "Wreck Dive" and the "Santa Rosa Wall" to name a few but, like others said you really cant go wrong. Many of them used the dive company Dive Palancar which is right at the resort and they seemed to be happy with the prices and service. I liked the guides so much for snorkeling I gave them a hefy tip after each trip and even bought one of their shirts.

The trip also inspired me to re-do the aquascaping in my tank emulating some of the reef structures that I saw snorkeling which I am looking forward to this weekend.

Also, dont pay attention to what looks like a dismal weather forecast everday when you try and check the weather online. Out of the 11 days it rained for an entire day only once with pop up thunder showers daily that lasted 5min or less.

Let me know if you have any questions about the resort. Have a great trip!

I've dove on Santa Rosa Wall, Columbia Wall, Palancar - Bricks, Caves, and Horseshoe. All are good...water clarety is usually top notch. You are in for a real treat provided there aren't any storms. Enjoy.

Back