Diving in Negril, Jamaica

MechEng99

aka Reef'd Up
We recently went to Negril, Jamaica for a friend's wedding. We stayed at Sandals (we're not big fans of all-inclusives...but it was still a nice place...just not our sort of atmosphere.)

So since we weren't big fans of things like "Trivia Night" at the hotel, we got bored and decided to get Advanced Open Water.

We went to Cosmo Reef & the Shallow Plain for our first dive. We went through some overhangs/semi-caves...and when we came out, we came across two dolphins playing together - AMAZING!!! Unfortunately, I ran out of film before we came across them.

At the Coral Garden & Throne Room dive we saw a 7' nurse shark, tons of trumpetfish, heard dolphins (but didn't see them), a very large crab (see below), and unfortunately - a lionfish. :(

On another dive to Cosmo Reef we saw a puffed porcupine puffer, seahorse, moray eel, fireworm, and a comb jellyfish.

For our deep dive (100'), we went to the Deep Plane. An old Cessna was sunk and the coral formations around it were stunning. The only other interesting thing we saw on that dive was a HUGE ocean triggerfish.

The dive at Spade Fish Reef was awesome! It was at 90' to see a 20 year old tug-boat. Got some pictures of a large sea turtle (see below), a weird creature - maybe a sea cucumber? (see below), and a flying gunnard. We ran across an electric stingray (which I didn't know existed before we saw it) and our guide made sure to get us away. A dolphin swam with our boat on the return.

Our last dive was to Snapper Reef where we saw a very large Ocean Tilefish, a yellow stingray, a Southern stingray, and a 10' nurse shark.

Now for the pics. Sorry the quality is awful - all we had was a film underwater camera without a strobe. :( Eventually we'll get a nice scuba camera.

Giant Crab (the guides made everyone hold things so they could get photos to sell)
IMG_0001.jpg

Same crab back in his home (GIANT sponge)
IMG_0006.jpg

Sea Cucumber?
IMG_0004.jpg

Flying Gunnard
IMG_0003.jpg

Sponge in a shallow cave
IMG_0009.jpg

Overhangs
IMG_0005.jpg

Seahorse
IMG_0014.jpg

Stingray
IMG_0013.jpg

Guides handling a puffed puffer
IMG_0010.jpg

Cool coral formation
IMG_0011.jpg

See the bright blue thing? I guess it was a Nudibranch of some sort - absolutely beautiful!!! We were just snorkeling and I couldn't get quite close enough skin diving to see for sure what it was.
IMG_0015.jpg

Cuttlefish we saw while snorkeling
IMG_0012.jpg

Stingray hidden in the sand
IMG_0007.jpg

Stingray coming out of the sand
IMG_0008.jpg

Last edited:
Back