DIY 2-part solution: looking for recipe and retailers

cody6766

Super Best Friends!
Premium Member
I apparently lost my recipe for the DIY 2 part and am in need of some. I'm running low on my commercial Ca supplement and wouldn't mind being converted over to the DIY stuff by the end of the year. Can someone set me up with a link or a recipe and some OKC-area suppliers for the Dow flake and the like?

Also, I know the stuff is bought in huge quantities. Is there anyone out there with more than they need or needing to buy some soon? I only have about 70g of total system volume, so the raw materials will go a long way.

Also you can get the calcium at pool supply stores. I use Tetra brand myself and it works great. There are tons of brands, but i would look for either the Dow or Tetra flake.

I am going to check HP or Lowes to see if they have DowFlake in stock (for de-icing); it's getting to be that time of year...

I am hoping to locate MagFlake at the same places, identified as "Melt Snow"

If anybody has seen the products lately, give a shout.

I think Sam's sells the big boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.

LL

Let me know if you come across some place. I'd be happy to jump in on the cost with you.

I was at WalMart, on 15th and I35 in Edmond, and they had some of the larger bags of baking soda. It was back by the lighting section with the remainder of the pool supplies, on the far left wall (left as you enter the store).

A big bag of the dow or tetra flake should be around $20, and will fill 2 five gallon buckets.

I am wanting to make the DIY solution as well. I have looked at Lowe's, HD, and Atwoods but haven't found the dowflake. I would be interested in splitting some as well.

Jacob, I'd love to split some with you! I don't know how much you can spare, but I'll take what you can spare. I'll make up the cost difference, of course. Shoot me a PM and let me know what you can spare, what you want for it and a few times that are good for pickup. I'm not off work until Sunday, but we can work something out.

I am wanting to make the DIY solution as well. I have looked at Lowe's, HD, and Atwoods but haven't found the dowflake. I would be interested in splitting some as well.

I am off today and plan to check several pool supply stores for Tetra Calcium flakes, which reportedly is a little more pure and contains less moisture % than Dowflake. I'll report here if I find some. I will also be looking for Magflake (Magnesium chloride), which is also used as a de-icer.

LL

I have never used Dow flake myself. All i have ever used is the Tetra, but the pool supply i bought mine from here told me he quit selling the Dow and started with Tetra because is was a better more pure quality calcium. This was a good friend also, not just walking into a random pool supply place. I have used it for about 4 years now and never had any issues at all.

ACE Hardware has some "no-name" brand de-icer pellets in bags. Not sure of the source, so left it alone. HD has Prestone HEET in one gallon containers for $6.97 - not such a great deal.

I went to Leslie's pool supllies and asked for calcium chloride, but was met with a glassy stare and response that "they don't sell the stuff"...

From what I have read, Tetra is the product to get. Tetra is located down near Houston, so maybe they can tell us where to find the product. There is a small independent pool supply store down the street that I think I will try later this morning. I'll give Lowe's a try as well.

LL

Back