DIY 29G Sump/refugium (Need advice)

ashish

So I am finally putting glass or acrylic baffles in my open 29 gallon sump (for 120 gallon tank).

This is what I was planning on doing!

Have a acrylic 1/4 baffle 7'' from the left glass (to house the sock/ skimmer)
second section will be a refugium, second acrylic panel/overflow will be for the return. Below is the design...

Option A
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...h=183&tbnw=235&start=12&ndsp=17&tx=130&ty=125

After doing some research I realize that I could have the return pump section in the middle of my sump. Have the refugium to the far right side. All I'd have to do is put a T and a Valve on the return line.. Below is the link of the design

Option B
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...nh=163&tbnw=310&start=27&ndsp=18&tx=96&ty=105

I used the calculator for head-pressure on RC and determined my return pump has a head of 650gph! Would this be to-much flow going over my refuge in Option A (which I estimate will be 6-8 gallons?). Option B is appealing to me since the flow can be custom and very gentle.

Questions:
1. Option A or Option B?
2. Pro's and Con's to each design?
3. Should I use glass or acrylic? (tank is glass). I would prefer to use acrylic since its easy to find and cut.
4. What brand of silicone should I use? What silicone are Not aquarium safe?
5. Is it possible to paint the glass black to reduce algae in the sections other then the refuge? If so what kind of black paint would be safe!

Keep in mind Lowes is the only place that I can buy things from - So if you have done a DIY sump from Lowes let me know. I know I am asking a lot of questions but I can not find my answers on other builds. I figured this could also help other hobbyist who are doing the same thing. Thanks

Last edited:
I had a local glass company cut 1/4" glass baffles for me. I didnt use acrylic because I read that they tend to bow and the silicon does not attach to it; so you are really just wedging the plastic.
Like I said, thats just what I read, so I just had glass baffles to be sure.

Thanks,
the inside measurement i got for the width is about 11 3/4. How much room should I leave for the panels? Should they be tight and almost hold there own without the silicon?

As far as the glass/acrylic issue. For a small sump like this with a 11'' panel it really does not matter what you use. Glass on glass obviously would be better but glass is very hard to cutt/polish. Our overflow box are plastic and glue to our glass tank's just fine. Granted the water pressure does help overflows more than panels but I think 1/4 sheet of acrylic will work. Ill keep this thread posted with my final design and product list

correct. you want to leave a small enough gap to get the silicone in between glass and tank. it doesn't have to be that exact, but you don't want too big of a gap. also leave gap on the bottom for the silicone to get under it too.

correct. you want to leave a small enough gap to get the silicone in between glass and tank. it doesn't have to be that exact, but you don't want too big of a gap. also leave gap on the bottom for the silicone to get under it too.

thanks..

Back