DIY cinder block tank stand

macofishy

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank that is 49"L x 22" H x 13" W that will remain in my garage. My tank will weigh approximately 680# when filled.
I have the following materials:
- 6 heavy duty locking swivel casters (each rated with 330# wt capacity)
- 9 cinder blocks from Home Depot (each 8"x8"x16" and weighing 38#). I want my stand to be no more than 35" high.
- FOUR 2"x8"wood shelves (two for the top shelf, two for the bottom)

1. Is it possible to attach the casters to a thick wood base and then put my cinder blocks and fish tank on top? If this is possible, how would I "weld" the cinderblocks and wood shelving together so that it one whole unit and doesn't tip?
2. If I leave 15.5" of space in between my 3 rows of cinder blocks, will this be sufficient for weight distribution?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Cinder block aquarium stand example

Cinder block aquarium stand example

Here is a similar example of my ideal aquarium stand, but I wish to add casters so that I can move my tank around the garage.

Attachments

• Cinder block stand example.jpg
    Cinder block stand example.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4
Tapcon's to attach the blocks to the base, mortar between the blocks to hold them together.

And I wouldn't even attempt to move it. It will be top heavy, and moving it will put a great deal of stress on the seams. If (when)it falls over, well, at least it will be outside!

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate the input and have decided to just use mortar to bond the cinderblocks and eliminate the casters. Hopefully, the spacing is sufficient for weight distribution.

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate the input and have decided to just use mortar to bond the cinderblocks and eliminate the casters. Hopefully, the spacing is sufficient for weight distribution.

Have you looked at Rocket plans for a stand?

If you're not going to move it, and the blocks are stable, no need for mortar.

Go to Tidal Gardens web site. He has a bunch of tanks sitting on cement blocks.

Back