DIY Magnesium & Calcium liquid form.

Pet Detective

I know Randy's formulas exist, but there are disclaimers from the manufactures
saying that mag flakes can't be guaranteed reef safe, so my question is what brand magnesium chloride flakes to use, I know USP grade Epsom salts, and what is the correct mixture ratio for a gallon jug?

I don't have an automatic doser, nor an automatic top off. I just add Kent marine tech m and Kent Marine liquid calcium now to my water once a week usually and during water changes, of course this is from testing for years, this is the routine that works for me.

Same thing for calcium chloride flakes, are Dow flakes still ok to use and same question for making a 1 gallon jug of liquid calcium...ratio of cups to water?

If anyone knows the ppm of magnesium chloride in Kent Marine Tech M and the ppm of calcium chloride in Kent Marine Liquid Calcium, so that I can adjust my dosing?

Any help here would be much appreciated, I'm looking to save $ , seems like I may be overspending quite a bit, I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty good at mixology and following instructions.

Thanks, I know this subject has been rehashed to death, but if you could bear with me, one more time.....

I use mag pellets, I find them easier with clumping, but if they only had flake I would use it. No problems here.
I use 3/4 cup Epson salt 7 1/4 cups mag pellets per Gallon.
Don't use calcium.

People are successful with a wide range of products. I bought a life supply of Dow Flake and Mag Flake at one point, so I haven't had to look much, personally. Dow Flake should still be fine, and the Prestone products are based on Dow Flake. People also have been successful with pool supply products.

Back