DIY Monster Beckett- Graphic Intensive!

Hi Zeph,

I'm starting to get parts together to mock your skimmer for my 300+g tank. Can you tell me what thickness acrylic you used for the base of the skimmer?

Also, I take it you recommend cast acrylic?

And lastly, the closed chamber for the beckett is still a bit of a mystery to me, do you have any leads for a hold your hand explanation to the airtight-yet-serviceable assembly?

Thanks so much,

Scott
nasot

Scott- I use 3/8" acrylic everywhere. 1/4" is kind of wimpy for this application.

Always cast acrylic- I build for longevity, and extruded just does not last like cast does.

The beckett chamber can be tough- this setup is pretty simple, but you have to be able to accurately cut grooves and tube. There are several designs out there that just use PVC parts though, and work fine. Sorry I don't have a link for you-

Zeph

Beckett Skimmer

Beckett Skimmer

I know I am way late to this post, but I have a few questions. I'm going to build one of these skimmers using a Iwaki 70. I was wondering if the three inch inlet pipe is necessary due to the pump having a one inch outlet? Is this to reduce water velocity? My next question is why do you have the three inch inlet pipe travel halfway up the main chamber? Is this to reduce the amount of bubbles exiting the drain? And if so, does this effect the "swirl" (I've been reading about) needed to circulate the bubbles?

Hi,
The 3 inch tube is a mixing tube where you can control the amount of air induced and the bubble size by increasing or decreasing the air input. Some skimmers don't use them. I think this was a better approach having the mixing chamber than not.
If i can help, let me know. I havent built any skimmers in awhile.
jon

Thanks for the response. Couldn't you control the air and bubble size with a one inch pipe instead of a 3 inch? I see many beckett skimmers with one inch inlets that do not extend into the main chamber (only into the box portion). Do you think this is a better design? It is a little easier to build that way, but my only concern would be the amount of bubbles draining from the skimmer to the sump.

Would a 6" chamber 40" tall driven by an Iwaki70 have enough capacity for a 400 gallon tank? Total height including the cup, neck, and base will be around 5 feet.

My post disappeared....
I would be concerned about one inch tube at that length being easily broken. It really wont increase volume much compared to the 3 inch.
The 3 inch tube provides more dwell time in the riser for mixing of proteins and air bubbles.
You can direct inject into the box skimmer also but that wont help dwell time.
You can control the bubbles exiting with baffles and the way you return it to your sump.
Sizing is dependent on what you have in a 400 gal tank.
jon

Volumetric flow rate should stay the same for any pipe larger than one inch. Velocity decrease as area increases and vice versa. That being said, I guess I'll use a three inch pipe. So now I need convincing on inlet placement, the box or the main chamber?

Back