DIY Overflow Reactor (Carbon/Phos)

rememberme

Well this is just an idea, but has anyone implemented a reactor for carbon or RowaPhos on the outlet pipes from a display tank?

My theory is that I have the flow from the display tank bulkheads run into a larger tube, which is full of some form of media. There is a ballvalve on the inlet and outlet so I can regulate the flow when needed and take the 'reactor' out to change media periodically.

This way, 100% of the water entering the sump will be treated by the media. If of course you have a heavy flow rate through the sump, you can T the reactor inlet to either have some flow by-pass the media and go straight into the sump or you can add another reactor with more media.

What does everyone think? What are the drawbacks that I have overlooked so far!

Here is a diagram

Here is a diagram

overflowreactor.bmp

i dont think you want that much flow going through that type of a reactor. i think the flow should be less than 100gph. also think of it this way. do you want all that detrus seteling out in your phos reactor? i wouldnt. what you might want to do is have a filter floss chamber before the phosban reactor. most reactors dont need the media changed very often. but you might have to change it sooner if there was no pre filter. im planning on something like this on my next tank. i want to gravity feed as many things as posable so i can have a more effecient tank.

Plumb the overflow to the skimmer. Plumb the skimmer to the carbon reactor. Your media will last longer, as its only working on stuff the skimmer can't deal with.

Back