DIY Ozone Reactor

8BALL_99

Just thought I'd post my Ozone reactor since there isn't many examples on here. Nothing Fancy just some pvc pipe and fittings. I have been using a Coral life reactor for a couple of years. Never really liked it but since there is only two options and the other was a few hundred bucks I made due lol. Biggest problem with it is contact time. It doesn't allow for much so most of the ozone just goes straight out of the reactor. I decided to make a much taller one that works pretty much the same way. The reactor is made out of 2" Pvc Its about 5 feet tall. The water and Ozone is pumped into the bottom of the reactor. The pipe is full of bioballs to help mix and slow down the ozone. Then the water exits out of the top and runs through a Two little fishes reactor full of carbon. The output of the TLF reactor then dumps into the drain that feeds my skimmer. On the outside of the ozone reactor there is a ballvalve that restricts the waterflow. This does two things.. One it slows down the flow ofcourse but since its on the output of the reactor it causes the reactor itself to be under a little pressure. This should help the water to absorb more ozone.
The red reactor beside the PVC one is my old Coral life.
351235474.jpg

351235478.jpg

Will

how come you decided not to put the water in the top and take it out the bottom--using a cross current to get more contact time?

I tried it that way at first. The problem is the air couldn't escape so after awhile The tube just filled with air. This caused the Feed pump to stop working after a while. The MTC reactor works like this as in the reactor is filled with ozone and the water just trickles through. It has a vent about halfway down for the air to escape and has a water outlet on the bottom. I thought about adding a small vent at the top for a vent and just letting some of the water out that way but still force most of it out the bottom. I still might try it that way. But so far this way seems to be working well enough. My Ozone generator only runs about 1/4" the time. My Aqua controller cuts it off anytime the ORB gets above 395. Its 409 right now. My generator is only a 50mg and its turned down to about 8%. Its lowest setting is 5% lol.

Is that a capped toilet flange on the bottom? Man seeing it next to the old one is like comparing a pistol to a 50 cal. sniper. Also did you fill all the way with bio balls or partial?

Haha, yep thats a toilet flange. I didnt Plug it though. I grinded down the stop in it so the 2" could slip through the 3 to 2 adapter then I just capped the 2" pipe on the bottom. Cheap and easy.
I didn't even think to post a parts list here lol
Lets see parts list. Total was around 20 bucks not counting the feed pump.
5 foot section 2" PVC -body
2"to3" reducer -Connects body to base. Grind down the inside stop so the 2" pipe can slip through so you can cap the bottom.
2" PVC cap -Caps the bottom of body
2" PVC clean out with cap -Top
3"toilet flange -For Base
5 foot section 1/2" CPVC -water inlet. You could just mount the barb fitting on the bottom and use flexible tubing if you wanted.
2 1/2" CPVC threaded to slip adapters
2 barbed fitting one male one female. I use Toro fitting found in the sprinkler section. They work great with the black hose found in the pond section that fit maxijets. Your feed pump would decide what fittings you used.
One JohnGuest fitting 1/4" threaded - Ozone in
One airline check valve

Sweet, like you said cheap and easy. Okay so I can't read. I see where you said fill with bio. That's the good thing about building houses, most of the subs will give you what you want so they can get the scrap off their truck, well minus copper they tend to be greedy with it. :D , though if I really need something they are usually willing to help out. Nice set-up though. Also does it really help with nitrate reduction?
Chris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14206564#post14206564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLEEDSALT
Sweet, like you said cheap and easy. Okay so I can't read. I see where you said fill with bio. That's the good thing about building houses, most of the subs will give you what you want so they can get the scrap off their truck, well minus copper they tend to be greedy with it. :D , though if I really need something they are usually willing to help out. Nice set-up though. Also does it really help with nitrate reduction?
Chris

Ozone won't really help with Nitrates. Really the main reasons for it is to Raise your tanks ORB and to make the water clear. Ozone will make tank water crystal clear. Kind of like carbon just more so. Some people say it helps with parasites. I don't' really think so. I use it just for the water clarity really.

Back