diy rock wall

ekoroknay

How many people have done this? I've seen some that are really nice and others that look awful. What's the secret? Glue the rocks to the back? Foam and sand?

I did the same method as the above poster, just 3 panels to line the back of my 125. Very happy with the result several years later. With a 125, There's not much depth for scaping and this really helps give the illusion of depth along with a natural looking backdrop. A pic of half of my tank, don't know if you can see it well. I think it blends in with the rock work well. I don't think lots of relief and outcrops are really important as this can be accomplished with aquascaping later.

I've done a rock wall as well. I zip tied the rocks to the egg crate and ensured my foam covered the zip ties. Held very securely.

One word of warning: Do not have any urchins if you have a rock wall. They actually tear the nice finished layer of epoxy coated sand off the front and expose the interior of the foam, which is not pretty and doesn't like to let coralline algae grow.

My errors help make your tank better! Overall I'm very happy with the results, though.

I've done a rock wall as well. I zip tied the rocks to the egg crate and ensured my foam covered the zip ties. Held very securely.

One word of warning: Do not have any urchins if you have a rock wall. They actually tear the nice finished layer of epoxy coated sand off the front and expose the interior of the foam, which is not pretty and doesn't like to let coralline algae grow.

Same method here and I love my rock wall, with the caveat that you can't take it out to deal with problems (I'm fighting bubble algae and lobophora).

Curious about the urchins, how big and what type? I bought two small (1.25 and 1.5 inch) tuxedo urchins to take care of encrusting lobophora on my wall. They have been the only thing that's worked and are doing a great job. So far no effect on the sand/epoxy layer. Was this a progressive thing?

Didn't seem to be. I had 2 full size pencil urchins, and I swear they lived on eating the foam. Maybe it's just the pencils. If your tuxedos are not damaging it, then that's fantastic.

Didn't seem to be. I had 2 full size pencil urchins, and I swear they lived on eating the foam. Maybe it's just the pencils. If your tuxedos are not damaging it, then that's fantastic.

Let's hope it continues. :) So far they are the only thing that's been able to remove and control the Encrusting Algae From Hell. I can actually see the sand layer again.

diy rock wall

Come see mine:) i even have supplies i can donate as well as techniques.

I use gorilla glue as final coat. I also have urchin. No issues

I didn't use Gorilla Glue, I used a different 2-part epoxy. Maybe that was my problem. Guess I'd better build another tank :)!

Come see mine:) i even have supplies i can donate as well as techniques.

I use gorilla glue as final coat. I also have urchin. No issues

Ill take you up on that offer very soon. Ill also need your advice on how to build the stand for my Solana.

Thanks man. I was saving up for a larger tank, like a 90 or 120....but had some car issues. Feels good that I have the cash to pay it, but sucks that it put a dent in the fish tank fund. I decided to go back to my favorite tank make it nice and then a year or two down the road get the biggin.

Back