Diy skimmer neck cleaner

Nice work DreamLand!

You may want to consider enclosing the motor as the saltwater environment will make quick work of the metals used on these motors.

Here's mine which includes a freshwater wash down (I've since changed the micro jets to ones without valves) and a salad bowl dome mod to increase foam height and direct the skim toward the cup rather the flat top of the lid. I just used a rubber pipe cap as the enclosure for quick and easy motor replacement if needed.

06b773f3bf196c9d7e52b6a9a8615204_zps96c84814.jpg

Nice work DreamLand!

You may want to consider enclosing the motor as the saltwater environment will make quick work of the metals used on these motors.

Here's mine which includes a freshwater wash down (I've since changed the micro jets to ones without valves) and a salad bowl dome mod to increase foam height and direct the skim toward the cup rather the flat top of the lid. I just used a rubber pipe cap as the enclosure for quick and easy motor replacement if needed.

You have a build thread for yours?

Diy skimmer neck cleaner

Just a tip. You want a motor that starts in the same direction every time. Many cheap synchronous motors out there don't have a fixed rotation. They are bi directional and will start clockwise or counter clockwise which gives you no control over the angle of the squeegee and could put extra wear on the motor as it has to fold over the squeegee when it starts in a different direction. They're usually labelled CW/CCW.

Last edited:
neck cleaner

neck cleaner

Nice work DreamLand!

Very nice design and do you use the pump to feed the water to clean the collection cup, if so what is the size of the pump ?

Unfortunately, this is not setup yet. It's a SRO 5000 skimmer for my 300 gallon tank which should be here any day now.

On a test run I used an old Tetra 550 pond pump I had laying around and it worked as expected, but the pump was in close proximity. I won't know for sure if the pump will be sufficient once everything is in place with a longer run. I suspect it will be fine.

Unfortunately, this is not setup yet. It's a SRO 5000 skimmer for my 300 gallon tank which should be here any day now.

On a test run I used an old Tetra 550 pond pump I had laying around and it worked as expected, but the pump was in close proximity. I won't know for sure if the pump will be sufficient once everything is in place with a longer run. I suspect it will be fine.

Just a tip. You want a motor that starts in the same direction every time. Many cheap synchronous motors out there don't have a fixed rotation. They are bi directional and will start clockwise or counter clockwise which gives you no control over the angle of the squeegee and could put extra wear on the motor as it has to fold over the squeegee when it starts in a different direction. They're usually labelled CW/CCW.
When you say they are label cw/ccw does that indicate they are bi-directional? Do i need to find one that says just cw?

Neck Cleaner

Neck Cleaner

Here my version of neck cleaner and it cleans 15" of my skimmer neck and super easy to build, I have used 12v high torque motor and rest of the parts from Lowes and .99 cents store, it has 1/4" shaft that i have drilled and it I took 1/4"x 1/2" John J adapter and took the white plastic that holds the RO tube in place and slide that on the shaft and drilled hole while was aligned with hole that I drilled in shaft and i screwed in stainless screw and then I have 1/2" threaded x Slip coupling that is screwed on John J and red is pvc, It took me 2 hrs to adjust the arms to find center of the neck and that was it, It has been working for more than 5 months without any issues and never has motor stuck since this is nigh torque, At the end of the wipers/ shower squeeze I glued on scrubbers that I bought from dollar store, I found it cleans better and even requires less cleaning schedule, I clean these every 2 weeks and takes less than 10 min and total cost for project is under 30 bucks. I bought some of the items extra due to trial error issues but still it was cheaper....

12v High Torque motors - 2 pcs - $20
John J Adapter - 2 pcs - $6.00
1/2" PVC Adapter -------- 1 pc - .60 cents
1/2" Pvc Pipe 1 pc - Laying around
2 Wiper.Squeeze 4 pcs - $3.98 from dollar store

Attachments

• neck 1.jpg
    neck 1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
  • neck 2.jpg
    neck 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0