Tuning RedSea Reefer 300 skimmer

camsoft

Hey guys,

Just getting back into the hobby after a break of 5 years and attempting to tune my skimmer.

I have it set at the exact water level as marked on the skimmer but not sure how to adjust the skimmer.

IMG_4060.jpeg

As you can see in the photo there are three different-looking bubble sections but as I've currently got it small bubbles are just "boiling" at the bottom of the cup neck.

It's a new tank been running for about three weeks but there is waste in the system as I'm cycling with two clowns and have used live sand and Dr Time One and Only. I have previously got some skimmate as can be seen on the wiper and collection cup.

Where should the tiny bubbles or larger buttons start?

Should I open the valve more? If I do that currently I'll get a very very wet skin.

Just trying to understand where I should have the skimmer set even if that means for now it would overflow.

Thanks!

Never used one of these so I can’t make a recommendation but can give you a bump.

Hey guys,

Just getting back into the hobby after a break of 5 years and attempting to tune my skimmer.

I have it set at the exact water level as marked on the skimmer but not sure how to adjust the skimmer.

View attachment 32380647

As you can see in the photo there are three different-looking bubble sections but as I've currently got it small bubbles are just "boiling" at the bottom of the cup neck.

It's a new tank been running for about three weeks but there is waste in the system as I'm cycling with two clowns and have used live sand and Dr Time One and Only. I have previously got some skimmate as can be seen on the wiper and collection cup.

Where should the tiny bubbles or larger buttons start?

Should I open the valve more? If I do that currently I'll get a very very wet skin.

Just trying to understand where I should have the skimmer set even if that means for now it would overflow.

Thanks!
I would lower the top 'boil' down to an inch below the red band. As it stands that boiling in the neck is very chaotic and if there is any accumulation of waste it will just wet overflow. If you lower it down into the body to where I suggested you should see more stable foam forming and get pushed into the neck. I assume you have the air reduced which at this point is good and I'd just leave it there.

How's the skimmer working for you now.I've been running this skimmer for about 3 years now. The fine bubbles are from about 2" from the bottom up to the top of the neck.A little high then in the picture. You probably need more time and load in the tank.

Back