DIY Skimmer Running on drain!?

Kregg

Wouldn't it be great if we could have a effective skimmer without another water pump! We would save on energy by not having another big pump sucking up juice and it would save even more cash by not needing a high dollar pump! Keep an open mind and read on....

I may be all wet with this one, but hear me out and please give me your input. I have had a few positive comments and a few negative ones. I have a 75 gal sump in my basement attached to my 120 display upstairs. My 1.5 inch drain is moving about 1600 gph with a 12 foot drop. Just look at all of the natural foam I'm getting and this is not even trying!
77182SumpFoam1.jpg

This section of my sump already collects a substantial amount of natural skimate in short order, but I can not remove it easily and a lot of bubbles are escaping through the current baffle set up.
77182SumpRun1.jpg

My 2 overflow drains are joined in a 3 pronged Y with the top center line plugged. I might be able to get even more aeration / bubbles in this water by adding a vent hole in the middle plug where the 2 drains are mixing together. This vent area could have a simple air valve or even a air pump or injector for more foam manufacturing and regulation? Here is a view of the upstairs plumbing Y (the one with the 2 gate valves).
77182TankPipes1.jpg

Do you think it is worth trying to harness this natural foam/skimate that I'm already getting in my sump? We have several options and maybe more.

Option 1. Simply add my powered PM Bullet-3 skimmer in this area and take advantage of extra aeration before the skimmer even takes it in. This could be helpful, but will not save electricity and requires another costly pump.

Option 2. Build a DIY skimmer in this sump section and acquire skimate from the natural flow and aeration. Would this DIY skimmer running on the drain flow be as effective as my Bullet-3 skimmer running off a pressure rated pump? If not the same, then how close?

Option 3. Run my Bullet-3 skimmer with this drain flow and not even use another pump on the Bullet? Would this pumpless set up be equivalent to making a DIY skimmer in this area? I was told that my current drain pressure was not enough to effectively run the Bullet. Perhaps it would just back up my drain up into the display and not allow the proper flow into the sump. We could have a overflow on the drain if required. However, I do not know how to calculate my current drain pressure and compare it with a pressure rated pump.

I appreciate everyones thoughts, assistance and experience in this area. Could this be a breakthrough Idea? Bomber has already gotten my mind spinning about this. Help me out!

i know of a few people that will do that, one has it dropping from upstais to down, you might want to widen the tube diameter, to maybe about 2.5" to increase the bubbles a lot more, have it go under water, then have it widen to 4" or 5" then have it U tube hold up the skimmer with live rock or an eggcrate rack., and have it go back up. drill a hole up top or drain, the taller it is the better, the longer the water and air have contact the more skimmate, ok after you have it to your desired hight, have it reduce back to 2" run the tubing up and have an elbow. thats the riser tube. have a little 1g bucket hooked over the elbow to catch skimmate

alot of good ways to do it, this is just a beta version

:D

Thanks for the thoughts. Wow... I'm going to need to think about your directions a bit and try and make sence of it in my head. Your reco was abviously for, option 2, building a complete DIY skimmer and has nothing to do with my Bullet=3. Right?

How would the DIY version compare to the Bullet on performance?

With a sump in the basement, it would be very easy to feed a recirculating style skimmer (Ala RK2 style) with that overflow. It would actually work very well I think.

Supposedly, I've heard that the phenomenon you are seeing was actually the inspiration for the large ETSS downdraft style skimmers. Some of the large commercial line skimmers have downdraft tubes that are something like almost 6' tall. Alot like that drain pipe.. :)

jb

seams like you have enough pressure to have a high pressure injection skimmer try to make a couple of nice injectors and cap the top of install the a riser tube so that you can collect the foam.
Nice set up I might try the same.

yeah, but he would have to get it back either way, you already had that sump hooked up right? or am I wrong?

Thanks for the comments & thoughts. Yes the sump pump Iwaki 100 is already hooked up and pumping. That operating expense is already part of the tank. I will read up on your DIY design on the link you provided.
Thx,
Kregg

Update... Help!

Update... Help!

OK. I built this DIY skimmer device and it is not working like I had hoped.
77182DrainSkim_-med.jpg

On the positive side, it does not restrict my drain flow and it will not ever clog.

My problems are two fold.

1. Lots of the micro bubbles are still escaping from the bottom exit holes. This is still causing a micro bubble problem in my sump. This also means that I'm not using all of these great bubbles to make skimate.

2. The bubbles are not rising up high enough to get to the cup. I assume that this could be solved by a simple reduction of riser height and/or a lower conversion from the 4 inch pipe to the 1.5 inch pipe.

Everyone please chime in with your thoughts! I want to make this work. I might try and get a pic at lunch time.

You need to get the water level up inside the skimmer. This is best done with a gate valve on the outlet. You would close the valve down to raise the water level. Since this is fed directly off of the overflow, I would recomend some sort of safety bypass of the valve, in case it gets restricted.

You could put a tee at the outlet of the skimmer and just before the valve. Install it with the t part pointed up. You would then install some tube to just slightly higher than the highest water level in the skimmer. Then, if something happens to block the valve, the water has a 2ndary way out.

Put the bottom of the skimmer in a bucket then put golf ball sized rocks (like base rock) all around the skimmer. This will break up the bubbles.

speakeraddict

I bet you still have too much velocity going through the skimmer that no head of bubbles can build up. That much velocity has to make a lot of turbulence. I would suggest something as big in diameter as you can fit.

You may not want to use a gate valve. . .

You may not want to use a gate valve. . .

As previously suggested to use a gate valve on the outlet of the skimmer, I reccomend against that. I've used a similar setup on my system and here is what I found: The flow of water rushing out of the pipe is very turbulent and inconsistant. . .it will be very difficult to maintain a consistant water level in the skimmer with only a valve. The solution is to have the outlet of the skimmer use an adjustable pvc extension with no restrictions to maintain a consistant level in the skimmer. Check out this thread, it has a diagram that is what I'm talking about:

this picture in this thread

I agree with MarkM3. Use a riser to set the water level. Much safer. And it works fine - all in sump euro-reefs set their water level that way.

No updates from my side right now. My hands have been full getting my Bullet-3 up and running on a Iwaki 70. She is running great now.

I will be getting back to my drain skimmer now, but I'm still a bit lost. I need to study Mark's pic and thread to make better sence of my needs based upon what worked for him. The diagram has not helped me understand his reco yet. I will keep thinking about it.....

Check these 2 threads out. Thread I or Thread II .

I think the second one is more for you, because the first has to do more with the same unit used with a lower flow system. You chould have more than enough flow to make the original design work. I'm currently trying to make one myself, but had a hard time finding an economical piece of clear PVC for the riser.

Also, since you already have a skimmer, I would play around with using the return flow to feed that. Does it require a pump with greater than 1600gph flow? If not, the drop to the basement should give the water more than enough oomph to power the skimmer. IMO anyway.

Back