DIY Skimmer Running on drain!?

How about this thread ( 'skimmer with no pump??' in advanced topics ).

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=662413&highlight=skimmer+with+no+pump

I am doing what you suggest, and it works great. I can even overdrive this skimmer if I give it all I can. The key is to throttle the flow from the tank above so that the pipe fills up and provides the head pressure that you want. This is done by restriciting the flow. Necking down from 1-1/4 to the 3/4 inlet on the skimmer is adequate.

Stu

Re: Update... Help!

Re: Update... Help!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=4148506#post4148506 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kregg
1. Lots of the micro bubbles are still escaping from the bottom exit holes. This is still causing a micro bubble problem in my sump. This also means that I'm not using all of these great bubbles to make skimate.

As stated above, a larger reaction chamber would help with this. You might try one of the 5 gallon water cooler bottles. Your design is more similar to the low-flow needlewheel skimmers. Look at the design of one of the large beckett or downdraft skimmers with a large square base. You could also try an internal baffle or a downward-facing opening on the outlet tube.

Back