DIY Tunze Safety Connector?

MeuserReef

Welcome to the next level
Anyone have a schematic for whats going on inside of a Tunze 6105.50 Safety Connector?

I cam into some free SLA batteries today and would like to add them as backups to my pair of 6105 streams.

Well Steve.... its looking like I will have to be the Guinea Pig on this one!

BTW. MAD props on the tank build. Ive been lurking in your thread for many moons now. All I can say is... you have a very patient wife :lmao:

I would imagine something like this could be done with a 24v relay. Just power it off the power supply for the Stream pump. When the power fails the Tunze power supply would lose power, de-energizing the relay, and causing a flip to the batteries as the power source.

Of course this doesn't provide a way to automatically recharge the batteries.

Hmm, though I wonder if the Tunze safety connector has a time delay so that short outages don't cause a jump to the batteries.

Tyler

Tarzan, that is a pretty good design. However, the point about the timer is a good one. Someone with the actual safety controller would be able to answer that question.

They make relays with timers built into them, so you would not even have to change the circuit design. However, redesigning the circuit might result in a lower overall cost as compared to the cost of a delay relay.

Does the tunze safety connector take care of the battery charging also? I was not aware of that..

I have a safety connector. No, it does not charge the battery. When on battery, the pump and the controller are both powered at 12V. A 24V pump will only run 1/2 speed. If you have a controller pulsing 30% - 100%, it will pulse 15% - 50% when on battery. When mine switches to battery mode, the feed timer comes on which causes a delay before the pump is running on battery. Its never been clear if that is by design or not.

Thanks Tarzan for the link and to Scott for the detail regarding the food timer coming on. Perhaps this is a designed delay to protect the pump during brief outages.

Scott, is the black plastic control box on the Safety Connector sealed or can it be opened? Just curious.

Steve, worry not... Im going to hack into the Safety Connector that I picked up from Scott and hopefully move us torward a DIY version of this.

I have a very very simple ups, that is working with full batteries for months now, I test the ups and it still drives my pump nanostream tunze 6055 for more than 2 days without even get to 60% of their's capacity.

I have 2 VLRA batteries 40 amperes each could put them in seerie to get 24v, but instead I use tem in parallel and have 80 amp 12v

no relays nothing...
the charger is very very weak enough for continuos charging without stressing the batteries (I believe in this way the batteries would live longer) somemthing like 13.6 V, the pump is also connect like the batteries to the same charger.
so it's working close to 14v , 6055 does work at several voltages (12-24v)

the amperes that the charger is delivering are only enough for the batteries and the pump .... if i disconnected the pump I would get more power to the batteries.

what it happens when there isn't power?
simple...
the batteries will drive the pump...it's imediate, the pump doesn't stop...

the only problem i see with this scheme is more time to charge the batteries but this is not an issue they can deliver enough power to the pump for several long days, a power outage for more than 1 day is very unlikely...

the level of the tank will drop (backflow to the sump from the return pipe) until this tiiny pump would get more "control" of the surface agitation...(more close to the surface) lots of oxigenation...when there isn't electricity.

I beelieve it's an elegant and simple way..
could watch the pics on my blog...sorry it's in portuguese.
even the charger is portuguese...
:)

http://waterinspiration.blogspot.com/2008/12/diy-ups.html

the charger is for ups, it does control the amp towards outside, so I believe no spikes even with tiny electrical interruptions

Last edited:
Yes, that is simple and good.

The trade off is that you never get 100% output on the pumps, right?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14715032#post14715032 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroSteve
Yes, that is simple and good.

The trade off is that you never get 100% output on the pumps, right?

yap that is right, more like 13.6 volts, maybe 60% of what the pump can pull...

only that problem...don't see that as a problem I have too much circulation already...
:D

no electricity spikes, no relays, continuous flow of electrons...
;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14707241#post14707241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by António Vitor
the charger is very very weak enough for continuos charging without stressing the batteries (I believe in this way the batteries would live longer) somemthing like 13.6 V, the pump is also connect like the batteries to the same charger.
so it's working close to 14v , 6055 does work at several voltages (12-24v)

the amperes that the charger is delivering are only enough for the batteries and the pump .... if i disconnected the pump I would get more power to the batteries.

May I ask what's the maximum ampere your charger can deliver?

Thanks.

Back