DIY Wavebox Tutorial from start to finish!

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I've read most of this thread and find it really interesting. Thank you to XTM and everyone else for sharing their work.
I'm in the planning stages of a tank and will consider a wave-making device, I also have a question.
Posts in this thread say the wavebox can be externally mounted, and other posts say the stream pump can be used without the wavebox. So what if you wanted to externally mount a pump without a wavebox, are there any closed-loop pumps that could work with this?

Since I am NOT electrically savvy, wiring my own DIY controller would be sketchy. Would anyone be willing to make me one if I pay them?

I can build my own box, and already have the pump. Just missing the controller!

I have read thru this thread numerous times, as well as pméd Xtm wrt questions, but I think he have not logged on again after my questions being posted.

I need to know something. I have two Seio M2600's with the control box. It is for 220v.

Is there any way I could build a wavebox with it- I know this thread is mainly for 12v DC Tunze's. But I just thought that if the Seio's works on "on/off" control box, then surely it must be able to work with a DIY circuit box to switch on/off.

If possible to be able to use Seio's, could you please provide schematics for the circuitry

This is a very cool idea for a DIY. To do this correctly, would the bottom of the wave have to be above the overflow in the tank, or can it be a little lower?

EDIT: I just watched the Youtube video. I see how it works now.

Nice just read the 26 pages and that is a good diy....

San Fernando Valley..Nice I'm From Pacoima

ty for this may try it

I have read thru this thread numerous times, as well as pméd Xtm wrt questions, but I think he have not logged on again after my questions being posted.

I need to know something. I have two Seio M2600's with the control box. It is for 220v.

Is there any way I could build a wavebox with it- I know this thread is mainly for 12v DC Tunze's. But I just thought that if the Seio's works on "on/off" control box, then surely it must be able to work with a DIY circuit box to switch on/off.

If possible to be able to use Seio's, could you please provide schematics for the circuitry

Im not too sure about the foreign versions of the SEIO but the US versions can not be turned into waveboxes. They truly are non-controllable AC powerheads. I know there's a controller for it but what it really does is ramp the power input going in from 100% down to 50% and back up to 100% which sort of makes it work like a controllable but doesnt allow for much. But a fully controllable DC powerhead can go anywhere between 0%-100% (this varies a bit but definitely goes way more than an AC pump). A wavebox for a tunze i think cuts it from 0%-100% within seconds which you cant do with an AC pump without startup problems or killing the impeller. Hope that helps, Wiz ;)

Nice just read the 26 pages and that is a good diy....
San Fernando Valley..Nice I'm From Pacoima
ty for this may try it

Pacoima.... you're about 5 minutes from me ;)

Im not too sure about the foreign versions of the SEIO but the US versions can not be turned into waveboxes. They truly are non-controllable AC powerheads. I know there's a controller for it but what it really does is ramp the power input going in from 100% down to 50% and back up to 100% which sort of makes it work like a controllable but doesnt allow for much. But a fully controllable DC powerhead can go anywhere between 0%-100% (this varies a bit but definitely goes way more than an AC pump). A wavebox for a tunze i think cuts it from 0%-100% within seconds which you cant do with an AC pump without startup problems or killing the impeller. Hope that helps, Wiz ;)

Correct. Sean, I just saw your PM and replied to it... I apologize. I don't check here too often as I used to, but I'll try to answer your questions if I could. Also to add: I have never used a Seio pump but if they are AC, they would be almost impossible to control because these pumps use a directional clutch mechanism that is not designed for numerous on/off cycles. Even if you can build a an AC relay/controller, you would end up wearing out the clutch prematurely. Your best bet would be to find a DC pump and rig up a controller for it. Good luck!

Hi Guys...I was just wondering if some one could tell me what voltage and ampridge there is going to the controller please?

I'm building one of these controllers right now and am trying to work out how to incorporate a motor control with a micro-controller board

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9457

this is what I got. post #615 of this thread is a close up pic of the circuit.
I did not make the box so the wave really is only at the top.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xvXVovCNkm4?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I have since sold all my tunze pumps since the novelty wore off. :)

this my final wave box controller i've made.
i use resun 1500 wavemaker.
left potentio use for trim pulsing time, right side for trim pump power
prototype on breadboard
422821_382942715050373_100000039421729_1482124_219046740_n.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U9wgQj8whas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

testing runing on my tank

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xCOO-pLk1kc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So here's what everyone's waiting for :D

schematic-marked.jpg

Pins 1, 2, and 5 go to the Stream Controller's Female DIN5, as designated below:

din5wavebox.jpg

The Pot in the above schematic will only have two pins connected - namely the middle and one of the side. The other side is not connected to anything.

Here is the completed project

DSC03932.JPG

Note that the yellow 1K resistor is not on my parts list.. it's the SAME. Just different format (it's my spare components). Also some components were soldered on the other side of the circuitboard (the electrolytic cap for example). The extra resistor here is used for the LED that blinks on and off when the controller pushes the Stream. I will add that to the schematic later.

DSC03932.JPG

And this is the finished product:

DSC06070.JPG

Any questions, please post here and I'll answer them ;)

Hi,
I just stepped over this thread on my research for a DIY controller for the Tunze Wavebox Nano.

As I understood, the DIY box built in this thread is just using a POTI to controll the pulse speed. However, my question would be, what I needed to do if I would like to use the analog out (PWM signal, 5v) of an arduino to control the speed? Is this possible at all?

Also, as I am speaking of a Tune Nano Wavebox, will this be working with this schematics too?

I do not want to build the entire Wavebox myself, I just want to control the Tunze Wavebox via Arduino

I hope these are still some active helpers in this thread

Thx

Back