dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

It's really too bad you don't have an extremely large entry way in your house where you could put this beautiful tank right in the middle and people would have to walk around it. I can just imagine looking at it from different angles is an entirely different experience.

It's really too bad you don't have an extremely large entry way in your house where you could put this beautiful tank right in the middle and people would have to walk around it. I can just imagine looking at it from different angles is an entirely different experience.

While I don't have a big house, you can still view the tank from all sides. we have stools to sit around "the front" (which is what the last picture is from) and there is a couch on the raised floor where you can sit and look at the back. It works out really well that way.

Nice set up, Ive only seen a few round tanks, this one is by far the nicest one I've seen.

Thanks Codfather. Obviously it's got a little ways to go to get back to the level it was before the reboot, but I'm glad you like it. So many nice tanks on RC it's pretty great to get compliments on mine.

Wow simply amazing....I saw a beautiful pinkish purple tang in one of your pics...what kind is it?

Hi Kamisxy, thanks for the nice words. The tang you are asking about is known simply as a Lavender Tang. According to google Acanthurus nigrofuscus if you want to get fancy about it. Wonderful fish. I'm a bit of a tang addict, so we'll have to see what ends up in here in the next little while :)

Well everything is checking out OK. There's a small clean up crew in the tank now and it's getting ready for livestock again. Sometime next weekend or the one after we should see some life again (other than snails of course).

Thank you. This is one of my few "getaway/dreamy" threads. Love the tank man. Thanks for getting her back up

Thank you. This is one of my few "getaway/dreamy" threads. Love the tank man. Thanks for getting her back up

Thanks Smoothie, very nice of you to say.

After being on this forum for 10 years (just realized that it's been that long) that's a really nice thing to hear.

The floor by the way is done, it looks so much better now.

More pics when there is more livestock and either less work during the week or less football on the weekends. (the latter more likely than the former).

Well I made the very depressing mistake at looking at some of the old photos.
Sigh.

Anyway. finally got some corals in the tank again so that's super exciting including a whole mess of ricordia.

I mentioned the floor was done, so here's a shot of that (note the section that can be removed to deal with the plumbing should ever a problem occur) and a shot of the ric's to hold you over until I get it to the point where i am comfortable taking whole tank shots again :)

IMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5989.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

I had a very good idea about lighting related things yesterday. Will be posting a follow up in a few days or this weekend... pretty pleased.

Looking good Dave!!!!!

Thanks! Hope to see you soon.

----

So. One of my favorite things about this build was the Japanese MH spotlights, called SuperKaru's. These had an aesthetic that I simply HAD to have on my tank. I spent a long time bringing them in, and an equally long time (and considerable funds) sourcing replacement bulbs when needed since the bulbs in these bad boys lasted on 6 months TOPS.
As I rebooted the tank I had the SuperKaru's off and well frankly I miss the heck out of them. I started trying to source more new bulbs. 200 bucks a pop, plus crazy shipping out of a currently still in turmoil Japan.
It just wasn't in the cards.

But finally inspiration hit me.
So, yep... I've modded my SuperKaru's to accommodate Par 38 LED Spotlights. Just finished this evening and fired em back up.
It's a much better look over the tank and much more in keeping with the theme I was building when this all started.

For your viewing pleasure I've attached a few shots here.

You must pardon the disarray in the rock stack, I had to take down a tower and build a few walls for the ricordia to have a low flow area to settle onto their rubble.

The light rack/FTS

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6007.jpg

some of the new livestock getting ready to go

IMG_6006.jpg

Your build is very unique. I loved the look with the MH lights across the water. How tough was it to mod the Superkaru fixtures to LED? Great build! Thanks for sharing.

Your build is very unique. I loved the look with the MH lights across the water. How tough was it to mod the Superkaru fixtures to LED? Great build! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks MacManor. What's nice is I still have plenty of MH with the MT-150 fixtures, so it's a good blend of MH and LED. The actual Mod was DROP DEAD SIMPLE really. I had to take apart the end of the ballasts as the SuperKaru's are direct wired into them, which was literally two screws) and then just rewire to a typical 110 3 prong power cord. I can not believe that I didn't think of it months ago. The real beauty of it the fixtures are built to vent MH bulbs, so keeping the heat low to not impact the LED's is a no brainer!

I've currently got in the tank:
About 50 ricordia (mostly just common stuff, but a few really nice color morphs)
13 small frags of nice zoanthids
A small frag of red planet
A small frag of breast cancer awareness tabling acro (a LFS captive piece that's an amazing pink tabling piece).
Clean up crew.

Rocks are clean of algae.
Paramaters are testing great (was a little low on alk and calc, but a bit of BRS two part has remedied that)
and I believe I may be ready to get my first new fish if I can find something good at my LFS.

Had a good day with the tank today.
Reset the rockstack which I had taken apart to create a low flow zone for the ricordia to attach to some rubble. We then split the rics onto thee different larger rocks and glued them down so they can grow in and it will be fantastic (many of them are BEAUTIFUL).

The zoa's still need to be placed, but look really nice. And I finally have some fish in there. Got a school of six lyretail anthias who have quite nice and a tiny rainfords goby. Everyone is in and doing well...

Couple of quick pictures from this evening

required FTS
IMG_6009.jpg

About half the rics and the zoa's

IMG_6012.jpg

some of the new anthias
IMG_6013.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

Looking good again already, can't wait to see it stocked again!

Missed this, thanks. Was looking at your build thread just today. Wow does that tank look nice. I might have to invite myself over to see that one day. Between your tanks, KK's, and Ryan, I'm staying motivated to keep pushing this baby forward and get it back to where I know it can be.

Back