dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

tank

tank

I just saw a round take at my local lfs the other day, not quite as big as yours but boy is it tempting :), love this tank!

man this is a Sick tank !! i never really thought about it until looking at this tank, a fish can swim and swim and swim and never reach the end !! just one big endless circle ! so much more open space and room in this beast. Great work !

I really love the idea of this tank. You did an awesome job with everything from aquascaping to fish choices. But I just can't overlook the lighting. Everything looks awesome then you look up and it's a movie set. My idea for you is a floating canopy to hide all lights. A wood canopy same color as your stand hanging from the ceiling with cables above the tank not on it. So theres my constructive critisism. Please don't take it the wrong way.

i dont know rleepremier although the lighting is different i think it almost adds character to the tank, i really love it

That lighting is special to me. I'm sorry you don't like it, but for me it was a huge part of the build.

In other news, the tank was emptied for a bit and my live stock stored with a friend. Fresh water was put back in just today and will run for a few days or a week and then salt back in and the restock will commence. I'll try to keep the thread up to date, but the tank needed a reboot and it got one.

Yes, I'm glade to see you didn't abandon the hobby or the tank, yours is one of my favorite builds/tanks. Post some up dated pics when you are ready.

Oh I had no intention of getting out, I have a ton of livestock with a friend waiting to come back in, I just needed to reboot the tank and get a little bit more control over my life. I have a pretty hectic work schedule sometimes and the last year or so has been more overwhelming than usual. The tank is running now with fresh water to clean out and leak test, salt sometime next week. I'll post pics once I get some livestock back in.

Hi dmorel.
I am glad that you are not leaving the hobby. Out of all of the tank threads I have read on RC yours is one of the most memorable. Simply unique. Good luck with the re-boot and I look forward to seeing the round and shallow build MK2.

Could you let me know where you got the lights from. I have searched but cant find anywhere. PM if necessary, thankyou.

Hi dmorel.
I am glad that you are not leaving the hobby. Out of all of the tank threads I have read on RC yours is one of the most memorable. Simply unique. Good luck with the re-boot and I look forward to seeing the round and shallow build MK2.

Could you let me know where you got the lights from. I have searched but cant find anywhere. PM if necessary, thankyou.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm certainly looking forward to having the tank back up and running. The majority of the lighting was imported from Japan, there is (as far as I know) no where else in the world they are readily available, at least the MH spots (both the superkaru and the MT fixtures). Honestly with the number of new choices in LED spotlights available, it just doesn't make any sense at all to try and use the MH spots. At least the MT fixtures use just a regular double ended 150 (or 250 if you get that version) bulb, but the superkaru fixtures require a bulb that you can only get in Japan, and each one lasts at best 6 months and costs 200 bucks a pop before shipping, which is pretty hefty from Japan...

Thanks dmorel,
I shall take you advice and drop the idea of superkaru's and search for some LED spots instead, thankyou.

I'm also curious if you'll be making a NEW thread for the tank once it's salty & live again, or if you'll be keeping this one alive. Just so I know if I need to update my subscriptions list or not :lmao:

Guess what's got water in it again...

1SQHL.jpg

Amazing! Welcome back. i just skimmed through your entire thread. The original build was one of the best i have seen. Keep us updated!

I just spent an hour reading the entire thread. Seeing the photo of the empty tank in the store, I wasn't expecting much; but wow, it looked amazing. Good luck with the re-scaping.

Welcome back! Glad to see this beautiful tank again. The growth you got in the first year was amazing, best of luck getting it right back to where it was (minus the STN o'course)

Thanks for all the welcomes and nice comments about the tank.
Very excited to have water in it again and it's nice and clear now.

So here's where we stand:
Reef Keeper programmed
Most Lights up and running (superkaru's not currently in the mix for those keeping score at home)
Skimmer online
Heaters online
ATO online
Carbon/GFO online
Put in a bit over 100 lbs of cured rock on Saturday.

Dosing microbacter.

Still to do:
Get ozone back online
Get algae for refugium and fire up lights in there
Clean up mess of wiring in garage.
Work on the rock stack. Mostly stuff is just tossed in there in a few islands at the moment.

In other news, a week from tomorrow the raised floor is finally going to be finished! The laminate and molding is in the house and our buddy Eli the handyman is coming next tuesday to wrap it up.

Look forward to getting some coral and fish back in soon.

Here's a quick point and shoot pic from moments ago:

M443l.jpg

Back