Do all fish sleep?

Cardinals are more nocturnal, by and large. Chances are yours is sleeping while you're out during the day. ;)

Re: Do all fish sleep?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7513398#post7513398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by austin552
My Pajama Cardinal, Pepermint and Skunk Shrimp never seem to sleep.

Did you give them a deep sand bed to sleep on ?

;-)

Yes, lots of sand and rock. I work 2nd shift so I see everyone from morning to afternoon. Then again late at night with the moon lights. The PJ and Shrimps are always active. Maybe the coffee pot is to close to the tank. ;)

Actually, I think fishes do not have eye lids so they cannot turn off the eye inputs but their brains may be able to turn off the eye input and allow the fishes to sleep. This is just like our other four senses, it cannot be turn off like the eyes with lids but still our brain at night can mute or dull their inputs? JMHO.

Simon

Fish do not sleep in the sense that we do with full unconsciousness. They just shut down extra brain activity, but they likely keep "swimmming" or doing that twitch thing to keep themselves suspended.

It's probably the equivalent to day dreaming for us... where your eyes are open and you know whats going on but your not really paying attention. However, if I bear were coming to attack you, you could still quickly react.

Now I have seen the Cardinal get in a corner and just chill. Guess that was it resting. Just hanging in a low flow zone but still swimming.

At night my clown goes into a corner and starts swimming in a little oscilating up and down fashion. Entirely different from daytime activity. He just stays in one spot horizontally and just undulates up and down vertically.

When I first got the thing I thought he was sick the first night.

My Chromis turn recluse for the night

Don't recall what my yellow tang or any other critters do.

I like the wrasses, they make a mucous sleeping bag and they are set for the night. I've seen my tang's stuck in a crevase for the night. My clown's do the same thing, just move up and down in the same spot all night. They want an anemone to sleep in.

The Turbo snails sleep all day and run all night. Shrimp don't seem to sleep but they are more active at night.

I think you have turbo snails and lumberjacks confused:

"He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars...."

Back