Do think I can get two Scribbled juveniles to get along?

mandarin417

Last year I picked up locally a very small juvenile emperor angel. I thought he was so cute that I ended up getting another one just a bit smaller. For about the first hour there was a lot of nipping and aggression from the largest angel. After that first encounter, the two were inseparable. I ended up selling the pair after about 90 days when they discovered how tasty the zoas in my tank were.

I decided I wanted to try the same with a pair of captive bred juvenile Scribbled angels. I received a very nice healthy, eating well and not afraid of anything 1.5 to 2-inch captive bred scribbled from Diver's Den about 10 days ago. I wanted two but they only had one in stock. She has done very well in the tank and is friendly to me too.

Yesterday I received a second captive bred scribbled from Live Aquaria that is also very healthy and active. It is about half the size of the first scribbled. I caught the first one that has been in the tank for over a week, put it in acclimation box and let it out about 5 hours after the smaller one was acclimated and put into the tank. The larger one was very aggressive to the smaller one so I captured both, put them in an acclimation box with a clear divider between them overnight.

This morning I removed the divider and aggression was much less but still troubling to me so I put the divider back in the box. Interesting how the smaller angel goes pale when being bullied but when separated, regains her full colors.

My thought is to keep them fully separated over the weekend and remove the divider on Monday. They do see each other through the divider.

Does this sound like a workable plan or does anyone have any other recommendations?

My understanding is that scribbled angels all start out as female and one matures to a male.

Any recommendations are really appreciated. Otherwise I will have to find one of the angels a new home.

Thanks,

Bob

My experience with Tangs, has been to introduce them all at the same time, but you can't do that now. Place the fish in the DT, one in one side, the other on the opposite, and put all your nets in the tank for over 1 hour, the fish will try to hide and find different comfortable spots on each side. Another option that has worked for me is have 3 instead of 2, this relieves the pressure of the lead on the others. And last I've had about placing mirrors on the sides, but have not tried that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last year I picked up locally a very small juvenile emperor angel. I thought he was so cute that I ended up getting another one just a bit smaller. For about the first hour there was a lot of nipping and aggression from the largest angel. After that first encounter, the two were inseparable. I ended up selling the pair after about 90 days when they discovered how tasty the zoas in my tank were.

I decided I wanted to try the same with a pair of captive bred juvenile Scribbled angels. I received a very nice healthy, eating well and not afraid of anything 1.5 to 2-inch captive bred scribbled from Diver's Den about 10 days ago. I wanted two but they only had one in stock. She has done very well in the tank and is friendly to me too.

Yesterday I received a second captive bred scribbled from Live Aquaria that is also very healthy and active. It is about half the size of the first scribbled. I caught the first one that has been in the tank for over a week, put it in acclimation box and let it out about 5 hours after the smaller one was acclimated and put into the tank. The larger one was very aggressive to the smaller one so I captured both, put them in an acclimation box with a clear divider between them overnight.

This morning I removed the divider and aggression was much less but still troubling to me so I put the divider back in the box. Interesting how the smaller angel goes pale when being bullied but when separated, regains her full colors.

My thought is to keep them fully separated over the weekend and remove the divider on Monday. They do see each other through the divider.

Does this sound like a workable plan or does anyone have any other recommendations?

My understanding is that scribbled angels all start out as female and one matures to a male.

Any recommendations are really appreciated. Otherwise I will have to find one of the angels a new home.

Thanks,

Bob

Hey Bob,

Angelfish juveniles are female and can change sex to male, lol, not always a guarantee, it can take a while (esp with Scribbleds,) and may require an additonal female or two in the tank, and the desire to change. Scribbleds grow quicker than emps. Scribbleds change its body colors by sex, which is super cool and unusual for Chaet. Their color change to adult occurs really quick and when they are quite small. Male's pattern becomes lines and the have a more square body shape.
They are great fish. I paired a few Wen's Scribbleds a few years back and it worked out fine. Best of luck and def qt, qt, qt.

Ted

Back