Do we need an ETRC forum?

Runner

I've looked at the code and uploaded the framework to our site. I just need to get the MySQL database name and password from our web host and I can activate a phpBB2 bulletin board like this one at our ETRC pages. It will be basic at first and my take a little learning curve to "skin" it right so it fits with the rest of the site, but I think I can do it.

My question is: do we need it? I'd just as soon keep the traffic here at ETRC. But it would be nice to have a private board to vote and discuss private club matters. Also, we would be able to have selling forums for individuals to post pics of what they have currently for sale and the like. And perhaps even a local off-topic forum.

What do you guys think?

Dave has already set us one up and no one is using it... I'm not sure we need one... It doesn't really make sense to have one if it is never viewed or used...

I wasn't aware that we had one set up. Do you have a link? I would like to take it and skin it to roll into our website. It might actually be used if we do that.

Ahhhh. That's what you mean. I was trying to figure out how to create our own board at our website -- not find another Reef Central to post at.

I know what you meant, but do you think people will go there is the question??? I'd hate to have new prospective members show up there, and have their post go unnoticed for a month or so... I never went go to our website unless I need directions to the meeting... lol

My intent is not to replace this location. I'd rather keep the discussion here where people can find us. If they find our website first, I get an email and end up pointing them here, anyway.

My intent is to provide support for private discussions and polls (like leadership elections) and internal postings for items for sale that are currently only covered by links to photobuckets and nagging me to get off my butt and do some HTML coding. And also to allow for discussion of things that RC bans (like posts from vendors such as Coral Reef). Non-members would not have access.

So my question is, would we use that if I added it?

keeping the forum on Reef Central allows more interaction with outside people but if the intent is to allow for private discussion I'm all for it...that being said if it's login based how will vendors be able to post etc?

I was thinking of giving our sponsors a member account if they desire it.

Anybody else have an opinion on the viability of this? Would you use it? Would it make you more likely to stop by the website and increase our traffic and make our sponsors happier? Here is a link to a partial traffic report for July:
http://www.easttnreefclub.com/files/WebStats_July.mdi

Back