Do you have a plan?

jmait769

-CSHFLW
Came home today to a very silent home. Power was out. I have a backup plan which includes a generator for really extended outages. I got the generator for a song when there was no apocalypse after Y2K! :) I had to use it one time after an accident took out our local transformer for 24 hours. But today I started out with my Honda generator.

BB001.jpg

BB002.jpg

I used this to run both Vortex for an hour and a half. I had started to get the generator out and the power came on. Just a reminder to have a plan in place for peace of mind. It will save you from standing around swirling the tank with a spoon!

On the new tank I have not implemented any battery backup that is automated so will be working on that.

HTH!

Jay

Great idea Jay! This should be reminder to us all that even though it is not summer time where power outages are most common, they could still sneak up on you.

I dont have a generator, but I do have 2-450 watt car transformers that can easily run both power heads and the skimmer. Don't need the lights the lights on.

My backup plan only consist of a battery powered air pump for oxygen luckily I have only had to use it once.

my backup is vortechs on a backup. MP10 will last soemthing like 30+ hrs. Heat may be an issue, but I can always deal with that manually with a hot water bottle etc.

Seems that I need a plan... Until then I guess ill just come back to this thread and ask for help and rely on their backup to keep me going! HA!

you know they sell those hondas in smaller packages!! but i gues you got the portable one!!

i have two small 2000 watt generators that i can use if i am around. but if im not around then i guess i come home to the low tide smell.

I do have a plan! Have I put it in place yet? NO!. I have two of the mp40w vortech's. I am not going to buy the battery back up for them. What I am going to do is install outside a group 27 deep cycle marine battery and connect a solar battery maintainer to it. The battery will always be charged and it will run the pumps for about ten times as long as the little battery back up they sell for these pumps.

Note to self, self get of your back side and get this done.
:wave:

Oh by the way I have spent plenty of time swirling the tank with a spoon.

Power was out this morning at about 6:30 or so. 15° out and no heat!! Accident on Holman took down some power lines. They estimated 4 "“ 6 hours to repair. I had waited about an hour and a half and after hearing that it would take this long put on some warm cloths and started to get out the generator. It never fails that once I commit to getting it out, run the lines, the power comes back on! So I did learn that the UPS I'm using will run one Vortec for at least two hours. The temp in the tank did fall about 2° so something to keep in mind with this cold weather.

Jay

I do have a plan! Have I put it in place yet? NO!. I have two of the mp40w vortech's. I am not going to buy the battery back up for them. What I am going to do is install outside a group 27 deep cycle marine battery and connect a solar battery maintainer to it. The battery will always be charged and it will run the pumps for about ten times as long as the little battery back up they sell for these pumps.

Note to self, self get of your back side and get this done.
:wave:

Oh by the way I have spent plenty of time swirling the tank with a spoon.

27 deep cycle battery?!?!?! Seriously? lol

Steffen Sparks

Well again Steffen you only read the part you want to before you pick on me here. Group 27. Open just one eye boy, wake up and die right. :wave:

Ooooo I thought you meant a group of 27 deep cycles! Thanks for clearing that up for me! :) And its one in the morning no wakie for me!!!

Steffen Sparks

Back