DOA Tank

jhs

Have a friend in a bad divorce.....Walked out on a 220gal reef tank. She pulled the plug and its been sitting for 3 mos......Whoa!!!! What a waste of good livestock and equipment.
Anyway I have a chance to pick this all up for resonable $. Question....There is about 200lbs of LR still sitting in the water in the tank. Not much coraline left and not to bad of a smell yet which was surprising to me. She wants it gone and he doesn't want to mess w/ any of it....So in the picture I came since she knew I had a couple tanks.

Should I try and sell the rock as is, as I have no need for the tank and rock. Or
am I ahead to rinse it off and cycle it in a couple rubber maid trash cans and then try and sell it. Some of the equipment I will keep and the rest will go.

Any thoughts are appreciated....:worried2:

Just be sure if you sell it as is you tell the buyer what's up with it. Someone will probably want to cook that.

I would let soak in a muratic acid/water mixture for 15 min to make sure everything was killed in the rocks if it were going in my system. Some people are different, but I wouldn't take the risk. If I were you, Id just keep in the trashcans and let whoever buys it do what they want to it.

I cant believe that there is no stench? Did it have any fish or corals in it? I don't think I would want to be around to smell that rock after the first piece breaks the surface.

Dennis

Give all the rock a good rinse in saltwater, then put it into holding bins with clean SW with a powerhead....not worth killing it all IMO unless the rock is riddled with aiptasia or bryopis.

Agree with the last post. Don't throw away old tank water during water change, use it to wash those rocks then leave them in a bin with skimmer and powerhead.

Surprisingly enough the rock has little oder. The rock w/ dead coral smells but the water does not.
The reason could be that the tank is in a office room w/ the door closed and the base heater turned off. Water temp says 55.

I bet you'd be surprised what coral survived when the water conditions were brought back into check.

I think u might be right on some coral still alive. There are some zoos that still look like they could still be kickin....still attached and rubbery feeling...

Back