Does a skimmer always have to be on

djcool563

I was wondering does running the skimmer 24hours a day really give much better results i would like to know if i can get by with my skimmer only being on for around 18 hours a day because its in my room and i want to get some sleep but the skimmer pump is a little loud.Would this really be damaging?

thanks

dj

No I don't believe it would be any harm at all actually. It all depends on your skimmer make, however. Some skimmers don't "like" to be turned on and off (mechanical reasons). But as far as your tank inhabitants are concerned, eight hours of it off won't do any harm at all. There are people here on RC who don't even use a skimmer - so don't even worry about it.

Go ahead and shut it off when you sleep. Sleep is very important trust me. :D I have my skimmer running in my room at night too but I just sleep through it. :)

ya i prolly could i got a berlin that acts kinda funny if i turn it off for a while so i will just suffer thro it

The two main problems I can think of are;

1. Lack of aeration. If you have a sump this really isn't a problem.

2. DSNS. Dry Skimmer Neck Syndrome.
With the skimmer off for that abount of time the crud inside the neck of the skimmer will dry making it a very non-slick surface preventing a good foam from forming.

jmo,
Sean

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6517690#post6517690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeanT
The two main problems I can think of are;

1. Lack of aeration. If you have a sump this really isn't a problem.

2. DSNS. Dry Skimmer Neck Syndrome.
With the skimmer off for that abount of time the crud inside the neck of the skimmer will dry making it a very non-slick surface preventing a good foam from forming.

jmo,
Sean

When I had my Nanocube I operated it without a skimmer (obviously no place for one in that little thing :D) for over a year and never once had an issue with aeration. I was under the impression that all was necessary was a water pump constantly flowing through the water.

As for number two, that's most likely a possibility as well although that has never happened to me when I shut my skimmer off. I can imagine the crud would just break off and fall into the skimmer when it turns on though, no?

Back