to hold a 5x2x2 glass tank?

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

thanks! :hmm3:

here is the tank...

IMG_0997.jpg

3 sided starfire from leemar

Last edited:
looks good. If your worried you could add a few 90deg metal braces but honestly looks stronger than most of the stands you get in the store

Tough to tell from the pics. Are the verticals supporting the upper horizontals? How many verticals are there total? Front and back? From the pick that is painted, it appears the verticals support the top and bottom horizontals, can't tell on the other side, or what support you have other than the sheething.

I will say, on a tank stand combo I bought at the lfs, the stand looked very poorly constructed and I was leary of putting the tank on it. It did fine though.

Anything over 4ft needs a center brace and be built by 2x4. I would not put your tank on that and would start over.

3-side starphire Leemar. Such a cherry tank and such a marginal stand. It's going to weigh at least 3/4 ton when filled. I just finished my stand for a 25g and while grossly overbuilt, it has more lumber than that. 2x4's are the standard from everything I've seen with stand builds. The construction looks fine, it's the lack of meat to the materials which is a bit concerning.

Does your LFS typically make stands as part of his business or was this some kind of custom agreement? Does he offer guarantees or anything? That is, if the stand collapses is at least the tank covered?

You can salvage your stand. I recently upgraded to a used 130 (48x24x26) and strengthened my stand. I put 2x4s in the corners and anchored a 2x4 "U" brace from the bottom, up the sides and under the top. Additionally, I added 1 inch plywood on both the top and bottom. I realize that I over did it, but it gives me a sense of comfort. Don't throw your stand out. While it will probably be fine as is, you will sleep better in the long run if you take a few hours to brace it.

And if that is rimless that stand will not work. You need it to be supported all the way around unlike braced tanks where all the weight is concentrated on the corners. You are just asking for a disaster with that stand, get your money back and look into building one. That tank is just to nice to even risk

And if that is rimless that stand will not work. You need it to be supported all the way around unlike braced tanks where all the weight is concentrated on the corners. You are just asking for a disaster with that stand, get your money back and look into building one. That tank is just to nice to even risk

its eurobraced... thanks alot, i will call calling the lfs tomorrow to find out the details.

You can salvage your stand. I recently upgraded to a used 130 (48x24x26) and strengthened my stand. I put 2x4s in the corners and anchored a 2x4 "U" brace from the bottom, up the sides and under the top. Additionally, I added 1 inch plywood on both the top and bottom. I realize that I over did it, but it gives me a sense of comfort. Don't throw your stand out. While it will probably be fine as is, you will sleep better in the long run if you take a few hours to brace it.

i actually like this stand (if its strong enough)... its simple.

I dont see a problem... it will easily handle that tank. The weight is pushing down and the stand has plenty of vertical support.

My 90gallong is using 1x4 and has been sitting on it for prbably 7 years. Always thought it was a little iffy, but never had any problems. Stand was custom made by professional.

Brace

Brace

Anything over 4ft needs a center brace and be built by 2x4. I would not put your tank on that and would start over.

I have a 125 72" long built in the wall. I used 2x8's for that header and the bottom. I do not have a brace in the center. It's been up for seven years.

i'm not sure, but you might need to run a plywood on top of the stand.

theres a guy on the large reef section with a Marineland DD 250g, and his bottom cracked in a couple of days due to a faulty stand rec'd from the LFS. He didnt have a plywood for the base of the tank. I'm not sure if that was the main reason for the tank failure or not.

email LeeMar and see what they say is my suggestion.

i'm not sure, but you might need to run a plywood on top of the stand.

theres a guy on the large reef section with a Marineland DD 250g, and his bottom cracked in a couple of days due to a faulty stand rec'd from the LFS. He didnt have a plywood for the base of the tank. I'm not sure if that was the main reason for the tank failure or not.

email LeeMar and see what they say is my suggestion.

For sure, im putting plywood as the base and putting 2x4 in the middle

I've read LeeMar run some silicone at the bottom of their tanks and that has something to do with not needing to run styrofoam underneath their tanks. Double check with Leemar about that.

I use a layer of styrofoam underneath my Miracles tank.

I have a 125 72" long built in the wall. I used 2x8's for that header and the bottom. I do not have a brace in the center. It's been up for seven years.

Sorry I should of clarified, its been months since I built my stand but there is a really great thread in the DIY section with the math all done breaking down tank sizes relative to either 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 and what they can support length wise without the center brace

Back