Doing it simple..and it works!

Beautiful tank love it! Can't argue with success, I noticed looks bare bottom which is what I plan doing when I get the nerve up to strip down tank and move out the rock and current stock which I've been getting the itch to start over anyways.

Tim
How do you topoff evaporation? What do you feed and what is the feeding schedule for fish/corals?
What kessils do you use and what's your schedule (time and power) with them?

Top-off: The water level requirements for my skimmer (Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB) allow for over a week of evaporation before it starts sucking air. If we are to be away for over a week, I have a nephew (holds a degree but has trouble with the phrase "Don't feed too much") that drops by and throws in some RODI water. I don't feed the fish if I am going to be away for just a week.

Feed: Fish fed once a day a good quality, fresh flake food (even my matted filefish now eats flakes) because of the well rounded nutritional punch of flakes vs frozen brine shrimp, for example. Once a week or so, I'll throw in what I think is a taste treat, something like frozen spirulina brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms... but they get 95% of what they need from the flakes. I have never had a disease in this tank, knock wood. Last fish that died (disappeared actually) was the smallest of 4 chromis I have, but that was right after I got them almost 2 yrs ago.
I stopped feeding the anemones altogether because they have gone from 2 to 12, the horny bast*rds. lol
Corals are fed nothing.

Lights: I have 2 Kessil a360's with the spectral controller, 12 hr photoperiod, ramp up to 100% intensity over first 3 hrs, run 100% for 6, ramp back down last 3 hrs.

Thanks for your questions! -Tim

Last edited:
To the OP -

I am only trying to help. I have been reefing as long as you have, and have been successful also. You can do a search here on RC, and find all of what I am speaking of.

Thanks.... and I have no doubt that is true. I agree, there's different ways to achieve long-term success (and a multitude of ways to achieve short-term failure!).

Your choice in corals for your tanks also mimics mine...you have a very nice candycane colony or two, amongst other healthy corals and an impressive bunch of purple mushrooms. Good looking fish too.

Keeping it simple here!

75 gal reef tank with around 70 different corals, 4 fish, unknown snails and stars, around 25 crabs. I do a 5 gallon water change every other week. No dosing (though I'm going to start soon) no skimmer. The only thing I use is a UV. I have sponges everywhere helping out. Even have a softball size yellow sponge on the right side bottom. Useing reefbreeders photon v2 lights

Keeping it simple here!

75 gal reef tank with around 70 different corals, 4 fish, unknown snails and stars, around 25 crabs. I do a 5 gallon water change every other week. No dosing (though I'm going to start soon) no skimmer. The only thing I use is a UV. I have sponges everywhere helping out. Even have a softball size yellow sponge on the right side bottom. Useing reefbreeders photon v2 lights

If it's working so good, why are you going to start dosing? What are you going to dose?

I run a relatively simple SPS/LPS tank. For filtration I have a skimmer and do weekly water changes. I do have a doser for 2 part since that is the easiest way to deal with my demand.

It's been working awesome! But I don't test anything but calcium and nitrates. Cal is always 400 and nitrates are always 0(or very close). I've added a lot of corals the past 3 months. I believe since I am getting more and more into sps that my alk will start depleting faster than my 5 gallon water change can handle :lol: I've been keeping sps for years now and never had to dose anything. But I've never had this scale of sps either. I just recently started into acros which use more alk than a monti or bird does. I will purchase a test kit maybe in a day or two and check. Then I predict I will be buying alk additives

Doing it simple..and it works!

I would be quite interested in seeing a continuum of Ca and Mg in various salt mixes. Seems a decent place to start. From there, maybe you start using Kalk in the ATO. Then 2-Part (I currently used ESV, but may try Randy's next). From there, you go Ca Reactor?
I use an Auto Water Change, and some people don't change much, if any. Too many variables for absolutes.
Super cool that your tank is thriving.

(My apologies for the tone of my previous post. Very un-gentlemanly to be sure. It is my opinion, but I could have phrased it much better. Too much wine is my excuse, but that's pretty weak..)

Back