Dolomite Sources

Bandsaw

Looking for some sources or suppliers of Dolomite to use in a Calcium Reactor. Can anyone offer some sources or suppliers?

Also, I was wondering about those bags of Chicken Grit (aka dolomite) you see at gardening centers once in a while. Has anyone tried or considered this?

Thanks in advance.

I was thinking more on the line of bulk sources of dolomite. Similar to Magflake and Dowflake.

I figure the popularity of using Mag and Dow for Calcium and Magnesium for fraction of the cost of using aquarium pharmaceuticals products has got those pharmaceutical companies red mad, I figured there has to be a viable cheap source of dolomite somewhere even if you need to do your own crushing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11636189#post11636189 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bandsaw
I was thinking more on the line of bulk sources of dolomite. Similar to Magflake and Dowflake.

I figure the popularity of using Mag and Dow for Calcium and Magnesium for fraction of the cost of using aquarium pharmaceuticals products has got those pharmaceutical companies red mad, I figured there has to be a viable cheap source of dolomite somewhere even if you need to do your own crushing.

Nah... most of the industry companies selling addiives don't make much money from them. Most will eventually just stop making them if the sales drop too low to justify continued production, which will vary from company to company. take some of the big boys for example, like Aquarium Pharm (API) or Kent Marine. Aquarium Pharm is owned by M&M/Mars. If they stop selling additives for saltwater aquariums, the companies officers probably wont even notice. Now, if we stop buying M&M's.....that may get their attention:D Kent Marine, basically same story. owned by Central garden, the marine additives business is a fraction of 1% of their business. There are some small manufacturers that would probably be hurt by everyone going "bulk". Companies like ESV, etc.

All that being said, if you find a source for the dolomite, let us know. I have been looking for a while now. i can't even find it in pet stores anymore and don't want to pay $24US for a 1L bottle of ZeoMag.

That is my problem. I don't want to pay huge amount of $$ for such a small quantity just because it has "for aquariums" printed on it.

I know of one fella experimenting with a 60lb bag of Chicken Grit (slang term) that he picked up from a gardening store. It is basically large chunks of dolomite and lord knows what else. If just additional trace elements, that would be grand, but if it also included trace amounts of copper, well.......

For now, I am just going to stick with manual dosing of MagFlake.

Thanks for the info though on the who owns who.

There was a company that used to sell dolomite as a substrate for aquariums. That is what I have been looking for, to use in my reactor. They sold it in packages from 1lb to 25lbs.

This is their website. They still list it as an active product, but I can't find anyone who carries it.....I have tried to email them but no response.

http://www.estesco.com/aqua.html

Back