Dosing Nitrates help?

fishkeeprian

Hello,

What is the go to product to dose nitrates?

I want to dose nitrates through my doser, my current reading is zero and I want them at around 5ppm.

So my questions are;

1) what product to use?
2) if mixing is required, what ratio etc?
3) how much to dose how often?

Thanks

I found some food grade sodium nitrate on Amazon, at one point. Even a reagent grade should be fine, though. You could consider dosing amino acids, as well. A formula for sodium nitrate:
Add about 0.52 grams of sodium nitrate per 100 gallons of water to raise the nitrate level by 1.0 ppm. That's about 1 tsp per 500-1000 gallons, very roughly. For potassium nitrate, use about .62 gram per 100 g.
Do you have a scale?

I found some food grade sodium nitrate on Amazon, at one point. Even a reagent grade should be fine, though. You could consider dosing amino acids, as well. A formula for sodium nitrate:

Do you have a scale?

Scales for weighing? Then yes.

My tank is approx 200 Litres.

I would like to make up a solution of potassium nitrate, and feed through my doser.

How to make up a solution and how much to dose daily to bring up my nitrates?

Thanks

Last edited:
That product should be fine. It should take about 0.31 grams to raise the nitrate level by 1 ppm. I'd probably dose by hand a few days to get some idea of the amount of nitrate the tank is going to consume. You could try a solution of 5 grams in 100 ml of water, or so. A dose of about 6 ml would be 1 ppm. I might try half that, to make sure I've done the math properly:

(.31 g / 5 g) * 100 ml = 6.2 ml

What's the slowest the doser will go?

That product should be fine. It should take about 0.31 grams to raise the nitrate level by 1 ppm. I'd probably dose by hand a few days to get some idea of the amount of nitrate the tank is going to consume. You could try a solution of 5 grams in 100 ml of water, or so. A dose of about 6 ml would be 1 ppm. I might try half that, to make sure I've done the math properly:

(.31 g / 5 g) * 100 ml = 6.2 ml

What's the slowest the doser will go?

Hi my doser will dose 0.3ml, I can also do one off manual doses if required.

Is that a 100ml of RO water or tank water?

Is it dosed daily or weekly?

Thank you for your help.

That's 100 ml of RO water. I think the potassium nitrate all should dissolve, but let me know if you see a significant amount of undissolved solids.

As far as the dosing rate, I don't have a good way to predict how much nitrate your tank will consume in a day. Some tanks will consume that much per day. I would try dosing and testing by hand for a while.

That's 100 ml of RO water. I think the potassium nitrate all should dissolve, but let me know if you see a significant amount of undissolved solids.

As far as the dosing rate, I don't have a good way to predict how much nitrate your tank will consume in a day. Some tanks will consume that much per day. I would try dosing and testing by hand for a while.

After dosing how long should I wait before testing?

I would test very shortly after dosing a few times, to make sure that the nitrate is hitting the expected level. A wait of a minute or two likely is enough unless the tank has a large refugium or the like. I'd probably test again just before the next dose, probably daily for a few days, much like alkalinity testing, to see what's happening.

After getting to the dose you'd like, you should be able to back off a lot, maybe once a month or less.

I would test very shortly after dosing a few times, to make sure that the nitrate is hitting the expected level. A wait of a minute or two likely is enough unless the tank has a large refugium or the like. I'd probably test again just before the next dose, probably daily for a few days, much like alkalinity testing, to see what's happening.

After getting to the dose you'd like, you should be able to back off a lot, maybe once a month or less.

I've done my first dose this evening. Should I wait and test tomorrow at same time?

If I don't get a reading do I double up my next dose?

What filtration types are you using?
Skimmer, Algae Scrubber, fuge?
Maybe your export systems are too efficient?

How can you get zero nitrates?
I would have expected trace results even in the best of cases.

What filtration types are you using?
Skimmer, Algae Scrubber, fuge?
Maybe your export systems are too efficient?

How can you get zero nitrates?
I would have expected trace results even in the best of cases.

Skimmer yes, fugue yes, I don't get a nitrate reading and my icp test also stated nitrates undectable.

I no longer run a light on my fugue to slow any growth. I don’t want to take my skimmer off line as is serves as an oxygenator aswell.

If you don't get a reading tomorrow, you could increase the dose (maybe double it) and then measure after a couple of minutes, to see whether the supplement is working as intended.

If you don't get a reading tomorrow, you could increase the dose (maybe double it) and then measure after a couple of minutes, to see whether the supplement is working as intended.

Just tested for nitrates and it's at 5ppm, wasn't expecting 5ppm, thought I only dosed enough for 1ppm. I tested before dosing and I wasn't getting a reading.

I dosed 5g in 100ml of RO = 1ppm, was that correct? or have I missed something?

Thanks

I no longer run a light on my fugue to slow any growth. I don't want to take my skimmer off line as is serves as an oxygenator aswell.

I know you don't want to take your skimmer off line, but would that not be a safer and more efficient method to pull a trace reading of nitrate?

You must have other flow makers for gas exchange.

A simple $5 buck timer Turing power of once a day say for two hours.

Sorry, I am always fearful of dosing anything but 2-part, the uptake would be different in every tank.

Back