Dosing question

canadianeh

I have a brand new tank and it is still cycling day #10.

I am planning to keep fishes, inverts, and softies and LPS. This is my goal. Obviously, I will start with fishes and inverts first. After a while I will try softies, and then a while later LPS.

I am using Fauna Marin Professional Salt right now. Based on my livestock plan, do I need to start to dose now?

I want to get automatic dosing machine. Should I get 3, 4, or 5 channels? The channels are referencing the chemicals that I can hook up, correct?

No, you don't need to dose right now. While some salts are higher in Calcium, Magnesium etc, the water changes you perform should be able to keep up with the demand in the beginning. You'll just have to test on a regular basis to make sure.

NO
You dose when you need to dose..
And you determine that by measuring your water..

Normal the only people that "need" to dose are those with lots of LPS/SPS corals and their water changes alone don't keep levels in check..

You have quite a bit of time before/if you even need to start thinking about dosing..

edit.. dang AL you beat me on this one..

Last edited:
... do I need to start to dose now?

I want to get automatic dosing machine. Should I get 3, 4, or 5 channels? The channels are referencing the chemicals that I can hook up, correct?

As already stated you don't need to dose till you start adding LPS. How many channels you need will depend on how many things you will be auto dosing. There are other ways of doing just about everything so decide the direction you are taking the tank then pick a doser. Most manufacturer have some sort of add-on kit if you need more dosing pumps in the future. Also consider consumption, a smaller system or a single coral might not use enough trace elements to make an auto doser feasible. Nothing wrong with getting a doser set-up now for future use, but it will be hard to determine what you will need until you get the corals in the tank, and start testing your water. Right now I could get by with a 3-channel, but a 4 channel would make my life easier if I had it hooked to a controller.

As already stated you don't need to dose till you start adding LPS.

And even then you may not need to dose at all..
I don't and have LPS/SPS,etc...
My weekly water changes keep levels where they need to be and stable enough..
Testing tells you when/if you need to dose..

If you have an ato you can try kalkwasser as an alternative to dosing, down the road.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back