Dr. Roy Question?

Guygettnby

so i know i have a pair of N. Wennerea that are constantly mating and laying eggs. i have already tried raising them and have failed 3 times now.

my question is this. i have had 3 mantis in the same 20g tank for the longest time. 1 peacock and 2 N.Wennerea wich are constantly mating. the N.Wennerea have just laid eggs and are now hidding, but my peacock has also just laid eggs and is hidding. is it possible that the peacock and N.Wennerea have mated? the 2 of them were together and the small Wennerea was attached to the peacock awhile ago, could this be them mating?

these 3 mantis have been in the same tank for at least 6 months now if not longer. the 2 N.Wennerea have been in the same tank for over a year.

well, i make sure there are plenty of places to hide and lots of rock work with burrows in it. i also have never had a single mantis alone in any tank i have ever owned. i have had some good luck thus far and when the peacock gets full grown i think it will go into a larger tank and be alone with some fish and corals.
i also keep them all well fed, i think this has a huge part of why they are doig so well together. they all stay in there own little areas and leave each other alone. unless they are getting it on :eek2:

so, i guess nobody really has a clue to this riddle. i will keep my eye out an just see what happens i guess.

personally i doubt the two species bred. The peacock is probably a female that was mated before and had stored the sperm. They can store sperm without using it for a long time... not sure by species, but it is on the order of months. either that or the peacock just laid unfertilized eggs. In that case the female will probably eat the eggs in a while.

the peacock has been in the tank for about 6 months...im also not sure on how long they can keep the sperm for. it is really kinda funny seeing the 1" N.Wennerea riding around on the 4" peacock... the only reason i could see them doing this would be mating...

i guess i will wait and see if they hatch. only way to really know i guess. but if anybody knows the time frame for carrying arounf sprem plz chime in.

i think the number is 1 molt.

i really doubt that the wenn and peacock would be that friendly, if you see it please have a camera ready...

to me it sounds like a very crowded 20g tank..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12882601#post12882601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Altpers0na
i think the number is 1 molt.

i really doubt that the wenn and peacock would be that friendly, if you see it please have a camera ready...

to me it sounds like a very crowded 20g tank..

well, i now the peacock is already molted once before. if i see it happening again i will try to snap a picture real quick. hard to believe but its true, i woulda taken a picture when i saw it besides the fact i was kinda shocked and couldnt stop staring and trying to figure out what was going on...this is a regular ocurence with the 2 N.Wennerea.

the size of the tank is perfect for what i have in it as of right now but when the peacock molts a few more times i think it is off to the 30g with the corals. but for now the tank is not crowded.

Back